Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Prestwick and Glasgow, Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 3 September 2011 | Views [352]

We decided to spend the last Bank holiday weekend of 2011 with close friends, Simon, Fiona and their wee kiddies, Ben and Ella. After a packed train ride up to Glasgow, we were met by Simon, who drove us to their home in Prestwick. They had carried out some extensions to their home since we were last there, so it was great to see the finished product and catch up before all hitting the hay.

The next morning we woke to meet Ben (4years) and Ella (2 years) playing in the back yard with their toys. Not shy, they promptly came into the kitchen to greet us, which started a series of miscommunications with the kids not understanding our accent, and ditto for us at times! After a great Scottish breakfast of a roll with potato tattie and bacon, Simon, Fiona, James and I headed for a day out together, with Fiona’s niece kindly agreeing to babysit.

We headed for a Whiskey Distillery, called Auchentoshan, where we took a guided tour of the distillery and even got to go into the cellar and drink a sample straight from the cask. This was our first Whiskey distillery tour and it was a very interesting and we had a great tour guide.  We attempted to convince James to buy a bottle ‘as an investment piece’ but decided against this in the end. We all had another sample of whiskey at the bar before heading into Glasgow.

 

At Glasgow we had a yummy lunch of Spanish tapas, with a Scottish twist of Black Pudding with apple chutney that was delish. After lunch we literally walked around a movie set, as the town square was cordoned off for the filming of World War Z-a zombie movie Brad Pitt is starring in. Unfortunately no sightings of Brad himself, however it was really strange to see all the set, including American signposts and crashed cars all around us.  We headed for home after a great day out, to settle the kids to bed before dining on a dinner of our choice-deep fried pizza with fish, chips and potato fritters (it had to be done). We were hoping to have a deep fried Mars bar too, but alas, we could not find one (probably best as we couldn’t finish the main!). We finished the evening with a game of Trivial Pursuit, which Simon won (much to James’ frustration!).

 

Sunday morning was spent relaxing at home, before the boys took the kids to Kidsplay and Fiona and I stayed home as Fiona had a Pampered Chef party (similar to a tuppaware party).  It was great for me, as I got to meet Fiona’s friends and workmates. We had a cooking demonstration ( a yummy Mediterranean vegetable ring and lemon curd shortbread with strawberries) and people purchased some of their products (I refrained given our upcoming van trip and the need to minimize things to store!).  It was a lovely afternoon followed by a very chilled out evening.

Monday morning we woke and after the kids were at preschool headed for breakfast in town. James and I had a full Scottish breakfast, which included bacon, eggs, sausages, potato tatties, haggis and black pudding. It was scrummy and confirmed for both James and I that we do like Haggis! Interestingly, Haggis does not have liver or kidney in it, which are James and my recollection of ‘offal’. We then headed to the train station, after Fiona stocked us up with more Haggis to take back to London. It was a great weekend away with good friends and it was lovely to have a slice of family life too!

 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.