Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Germany

GERMANY | Monday, 26 October 2009 | Views [685]

Tuesday 22nd September 2009 –continued…

Picking up Hamish was quite an ordeal. He had a ticket for a particular station in Munich, however, given the size of Munich, Hamish wasn’t aware that there was more than one stop, so had gotten off sooner than expected. Emma and I were walking around the central station looking all over for him, but couldn’t find him. After an hour of searching, and Emma’s credit on her cell phone running out, we found a pay phone, called Hamish and clarified his location, then we headed back to the van. All the while the boys had to move the van, so Emma and I only had some brief information on where their location was…although we managed to spot the van quite easily. By this time the boys had come looking for us, so we had to wait patiently for the boys to come back to the van.  We eventually got to Hamish, with a few jokes being had about the experience!

We then headed for Erding, home of James and my favourite beer-Erdinger. We pulled up to the camp ground, which was a free parking camp ground, with around 20 other vans parked up there. We set up camp, had dinner and a few Erdinger beers too, then decided to let off the last of our fireworks…seeings we were in quite a rural setting. The fireworks were really impressive, some making quite a loud bang too. Our fireworks session was abruptly stopped by two community Policemen (not in uniform but one holding a pistol) pulling up to us in an unmarked car. Once they identified we were from NZ, and that we had fireworks (not a gun which they thought we had by the loud noise of the fireworks), they calmed down. The Policemen spent about an hour with us, taking details of our passports and us negotiating to be let off with a warning, as we were unaware it is illegal to let off fireworks outside the New Years period.  They did let us off with a warning, and we ended on good terms-they even informed us of a good beer hall to visit! Quite a night to remember.

 

 

Wednesday 23rd September 2009

Before leaving Erding, we drove through town and saw the Erdinger Factory (actually pretty big-maybe around the size of the Lion Breweries factory in Auckland). We hoped to have a tour through, although they required bookings, so we couldn’t. We had a look at the merchandise then headed for Munich.

We checked into the Thalkirchen Camping ground in Munich, our home of residence for Octoberfest. Talk about tent city! The grounds held a maximum of 3800 people. The quality was exceptional-staff hosed out the bathrooms daily with high pressure hoses, and they had removed the toilet paper, the toilet paper holders (and possibly the toilet seats as there weren’t any!) during the Octoberfest period. Awesome. Nothing like feeling like a student again! Nevertheless, we weren’t there for the accommodation!

We headed into the city centre on the underground after setting up camp and wandered the streets. The boys kept spotting people wearing traditional German outfits and came up with the idea that we should dress up for Octoberfest traditionally too. We ended up in a store, with Emma and I trying on Drindl after dirndl (which was really fun) and we ended up choosing an outfit, along with a VERY padded bra each. Unfortunately the men’s outfits, called lederhosen were a bit too expensive to purchase, so the shop assistant gave us an address of a place where the boys could hire them. She also gave us a place to go for big Schnitzel, which we then went to do and thoroughly enjoyed. Back to bed for an early night….Beerfest tomorrow.

 

Thursday 24th September 2009

We woke early, around 6pm, to get dressed and ready for Octoberfest- with Emma plaiting my hair and all, which looked awesome! We arrived entering straight out of the underground station to walk into the gates of Octoberfest. It was amazing. People were all dressed up traditionally, with a real carnival feel. There were rides, stalls of yummy wurst, decorated biscuits (that tasted like dense chewy gingerbread) and other tasty treats as well as beer tents spread out over the area.  It was like Disneyland for adults! What was really neat to see was the real family feel the place had, despite so much alcohol on the premises.  We headed straight for a beer tent-Augustiner , to find this marquee filled with rows of tables, a beautifully decorated ceiling and an Oompah band set up. We sat down and downed our first stein, with many photos being taken- especially of the Beer ladies…who would carry more than 6 beers at a time! We munched on pretzels and other breads.

We then headed out to the carnival, and James and I decided to have a ride on the rollercoaster (not so good after 1 litre of beer) and then the boys went on a ride that rotated them around in their pod, while the axel rotated around. They all got off the ride worse for wear, with Maneesh even bursting a blood vessel in his eye from the G force! Obviously we decided there, we would stick to beer drinking! 

It was during this time, we had a couple of interesting things happen. Firstly Emma and I were approached by an Austrian TV channel, and asked to film us smiling and waving at the camera (which we did…although we did feel bad not being German!) and then when we were taking pictures of ourselves, we managed to get into a Reuter’s photo, photographing the increased Police presence due to a Terrorist threat made by Bin Laden. That picture made world news papers…only for us to find out about it as Mum spotted us in the NZ Herald! Unbelievable stuff! 

We then headed into the Pauliner tent, where we managed to have some lunch-veal sausage and half a roast chicken. The chicken was awesome, despite the expensive price of 10 euro!

The next tent we walked into was the Hofbrau tent (where the Kiwis and Aussies favour hanging out) with the infamous ‘pig pen’. We managed to find a table, opposite some lovely Italian guys, who shared their snacks with us-brilliant! Then onto the Hippodrom tent. After this, we wandered around the carnival until Hamish and Maneesh needed a toilet stop, so they ducked into the Schottenhammel tent, while Emma, James and I waited outside. And we waited. Then James decided to go and hunt for them, while Emma and I kept ourselves entertained chatting to people. After around an hour, we managed to catch up with James, and we managed to convince someone for us to make a call off their cell phone, to find that the boys were on their way home. As you can imagine, we had all had too much to drink by this point, so even these details are hazy!

We all meet up back at camp, chatting about our adventures! Such an awesome day!

 

 

Friday 25th September 2009

After a slow start to the day, we headed out to Dachau, to learn about the concentration camp. It was very difficult to see footage of this, and to walk around the grounds was a very sobering experience for us all. There was a great deal of information to read, as well as the grounds to walk through, so it took us about 3 hours to see it all.

We had a bite of lunch next, then headed out towards the airport to try and find the boys some hired lederhosen. Unfortunately, after the hour long train trip, we arrived to find the shop no longer hires these out, so sadly the boys had to miss out on dressing up.

We trained back to the camp ground, cooked dinner and planned for our big day at Octoberfest-arranging to meet with Hayley and Kirk at 8.30am there.

 

 

Saturday 26th September 2009

After an early start, breakfast and picking some bakery treats up for morning tea, we meet up with Hayley and Kirk at Beerfest, around 8.30am. We headed for the Hofbrau tent, as Emma and Maneesh had friends there. We arrived to find inside so packed with people, the only option was the pig pen, or taking a table outside. We decided despite the cool weather, we would be served at a table, so headed for the garden area. The first pint at 9am was a little hard to swallow, but they soon became quite easy to drink, with a welcomed table change to under the outdoor heaters too. By around 10am the garden area was full, so we decided to stay put there, given the huge queues of people at the entrance to all tents, knowing we wouldn’t get a table anywhere else. The amount of people was amazing, and the queue for the toilets was quite horrible…I don’t think any of us had ever been THAT busting before in our lives!

Despite this, we had an awesome time, singing German beer drinking songs (the crowd inside was so loud it was vibrating the windows behind us!) and saying ‘proust’ (cheers) to people at surrounding tables.  It was such a happy place given the sheer volume of beer being consumed. Lunch was also great-we had pork knuckle and roast chickens. It was a big day of drinking, with the day winding down with a few more drinks at Hayley and Kirk’s hotel before James and I headed back to the camp ground.

 

Sunday 27th September 2009

After another slow start, we headed into town, via Hayley and Kirk’s hotel to say goodbye. We then headed into Munich city centre and had a greasy feed of KFC, then back to camp to check out and head for a camping ground on the other side of Munich, closer to the airport. A quiet night, we played our last game of cards together.

 

Monday 28th September 2009

An early rise, to head for the Airport. Was a sad moment, as James and I knew that was our holiday over…and back to reality. Emma, Maneesh and Hamish dropped us off at the airport and we said our farewells. It was such an eye opening holiday for us, and we have now decided that we too want to buy a campervan and tour Europe too….aiming for summer 2011!

 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.