Existing Member?

Flashpacking

Toronto

CANADA | Saturday, 6 September 2008 | Views [480]

Arrived in Toronto lunch time and it was sunny and the temperature was mid 20's. I spent the afternoon checking out the harbour area to have a look around and ge some bearings. The Virgin festival was on at Toronto Island and you could hear the concert over the water. 

Our hotel was right by the CN towerand Rogers Centre which was handy for the Baseball game we saw on sunday. Sunday morning was a bit grey but the weather report was not great for the next couple of days so I went up the CN Tower while it was at least dry. Toronto is quite flat not too many skyscrapers and a fair bit of building work going on. This means the skyline isn't too much to look at and we were already in the majory landmark of the city. In the afternoon it was the BlueJays v's the Ray's, baseball seems to go on for 3 hours or so and has no interval except for a cleaning of the bases which lasts about a minute. Its a good experience to see a sport in arenas designed soley for that sport and the Rogers Centre is great stadium with a retractable roof.

Not sure if we saw a good game or not, there was only one run and the only time the crowed really got into it was the very end when the Rays needed to do something to get some sort of result out of the game. It was a good experience but it didn't convince me to start watching on a regualr basis.

Monday was better weather than the sunday which was wet although it didn't matter too much since we were under cover for the game after which it brightened up and stopped raining. So with good weather expected it was time to head off to Niagara Falls. They are impressive there is no doubt about that but they did not wow me as much as i thought they would. Maybe its because its very commercial, if it was surrounded by trees and wilderness I think it would have made it more magical.

However, it was still good and I did all the touristy stuff you do there! First up was the Maid of the Mist boat tour, you get a souviner poncho and head out through the spray to the base of the falls. It gives you a better idea of size when you are looking at it from the base rather than looking down from the side, well worth doing. After "the Lady" was a trip Behind the Falls, you go down a lift to get through a tunnel which leads you to the side of the falls which is very wet but you are provided with another souvineer poncho.

Before I left the UK i was determined to go on a helicopter flight over the falls but when I saw how high they flew over I decided to keep my money for something else I wasn't expecting them to fly in the spray but they were still higher than expected.

The following day was spare before flying west to Vancouver. We headed north of Toronto to Lake Seacom in the town of Barrie. Not much to say about this place, its mainly a place geared towards water sports in the summer months and there was nothing much to see apart from a branch (if you will) of Hooters.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.