Existing Member?

Ghana 2 months in Africa...

2 nights in the village /bday

GHANA | Friday, 23 May 2008 | Views [579] | Comments [3]

I just got back from spending 2 nights at a village about 3 hours away. It was along journey there, and a longer journey back. I had some qualms about going to the village, though initially was quite excited about it. My qualms came after some teammates came back from the first village trip. I have a very sensitive nose and after hearing their description of the bathroom and village smells, I didn't feel so keen on going anymore. But I still decided to go.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been sick the whole time. The day of travel was hot and I'm sure I must have been a bit dehydrated. I remember looking at the woman selling apples on her head, wishing I could buy an apple. But I wanted to save money and had a waterbottle with me. During my time here I've been craving fresh fruits and vegetables!! I didn't really want to drink much water as I knew we had a long road trip ahead. By the time we reached the village, I wasn't feeling very well. That night I think I started getting a fever, and was feeling pretty weak and dizzy. I took some Advil and went to sleep early. The next morning, I dragged myself up at 6am (thanks to the help of the ever constant sounds of bleating goats and crowing roosters) made a visit to the toilet shed (more details on that later) and took a bucket of water to wipe my arms and legs. We had some activities set for us that day- teaching at the nearby school, then after lunch go fishing, then make pottery.

While walking to school with my 5 other teammates, I felt really out of it and tired. A headache was starting to set in and I knew I didn't have the stamina to teach a class of 50 kids. My teammate Anna kindly walked me back to the house, bought me a Sprite and I took a nap until lunch. We ate boiled yams with cacoa leaf stew (pretty good tasting) and walked 20 minutes to the river. The river was a yellow/brown color, and everyone but Anna and I went to swim in it. I know I've been paranoid about this, and I still am- but I didn't want to chance getting worms (from swimming in still fresh water) so I refrained from jumping in. The current was rather strong, and some of the comments the boys made were hilarious. "See you in Equatorial Guinea!" Jack yelled as the current pulled him downstream. Jack, Doug, Ben and Becca had a good time struggling upstream and climbing trees that were planted in the water near the banks. Our 2 Ghanaian hosts, Ampouf and Frank were the ones who were actually fishing. They caught 2 small fish (wow!) with their very simple branch poles (cut with a machete) and live grasshopper bait. Jack boasted about being able to kill a fish and very poorly just hurt the fish after whacking it against the bucket. Eck. Well, there was fish for part of dinner...

Pottery- went on another small hike so Frank and Ampouf could dig up clay in the forest. Frank brought back the clay and mixed water with it, while pounding it with a heavy pole (much like making the local dish of Fufu.) We each took a lump of clay and made anything we wanted. I tried making a small container- didn't take it back with me though.

That night there was a HUGE football (soccer) game on- Manchester United vs. Chelsea. (Yes I've gotten quite educated on the soccer culture now.) Everyone but me and Becca went to the nearby town of Oda to watch the game at a pub. There was a storm brewing, with lightening flashing through the skies. Africa has a really splendid sky, and terrific storms. You know the rain is coming when the wind suddenly picks up in intensity, in huge sweeping gulfs. Then the rain comes pelting down, very hard, for about 30-60 minutes. Thankfully, I had already visited the toilet shed before the rain hit.

The toilet shed- my polite way of saying the **** shed, as everyone else calls it. It's a dilapidated wooden structure that looks like it will fall on itself any moment. There's a key to the shed (surprisingly) Upon nearing it, one can smell a bit of bathroom mixed with cleaning agent. The sound of flies buzzing inside is also there. Once inside, it's surprisingly clean. The floor is concrete with two rectangular holes cut out, about the size of your computer keyboard. You have to position yourself well in order not to splash yourself- I was a bit unsuccessful and also complained about peeing on my foot. The flies seem to be the most in the afternoons. That is also the time it seems to smell more- most likely due to the afternoon heat. I went in once during the afternoon, and could NOT enter the shed. I could already hear the buzzing of what seems to be billions of flies, enough that makes you think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, or flies on a dead body. Gah! I even opened the door so some could fly out- and they did, but not enough. I decided to chance peeing in the brush nearby, and found it surprisingly much nicer than going in the shed. After that, Becca and I would cover each other while one of us went to the bathroom in the brush. I really really did not enjoy going to the shed, and it wasn't even attached to the house so it was definitely a mini walk to even pee. Is it a wonder I was dehydrated from not wanting to pee so much in the village?

That night during the storm, I got a rather severe fever as my teeth were chattering and I was FREEZING. I felt very weak, had a headache and wanted to cry. Took Advil for the 3rd time that day and went to sleep. Had a sound sleep and dreamt of watermelon, pineapple and mangos. I'm definitely going to eat fruit when I come back!

Came back from the village a day early with Anna and our staff, Mikey. Spent 4 hours in the hospital waiting and getting a check up. The doctor said I might have a mild case of malaria-though I think that's a common diagnosis they give to people. I might not have malaria, I already feel so much better, but I will eat all the medicine prescribed.

For those who've wished me a birthday greeting, thank you so much :) And if you were wondering how I spent it, this is how- traveling back from the village and going to the hospital. Hahahaha. What a day. Some pluses though- Frank our village host bought me 3 mangos for my birthday (a really fantastic and sweet gift) and I was able to shower properly upon returning to the compound. Yay!!! To be clean is such a luxury.

Signing off until next time,

~T

Comments

1

OMGosh my TINA!! YOU NEEEED to drink WATER! when i'm in DR in the summer i drink water ALL the time and hardly have to pee!! i SO hear you on those 'sheds' or latrines! thankfully most of the houses i've stayed at also had some type of indoor plumbing.. OR we would have a lil dish we would use in the middle of the night especially..but i remember one time i HAD to use it *shudders* ANYway, please please stay hydrated!!! love ya!

  marisela May 23, 2008 10:15 PM

2

t, i hope you're feeling much better by now...you're having quite the adventure though i'm sure a trip to the hospital/possible malaria is not what you were expecting. stay hydrated!

  liv May 24, 2008 2:51 AM

3

TINA!!! Wow so sounds like your so ready to come back home! And Malaria on your bday? Poor thing. Make sure you drink more water even though I would probably do the same to avoid having to use a smelly, fly-infested shed...eeekkk! How many more weeks until we can hang out at the park?

  Adlin May 30, 2008 5:15 AM

About jamba2323


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.