Existing Member?

The Spaza Life

World Nomads Scholarship Expedition Oman Day 8

OMAN | Tuesday, 21 May 2013 | Views [1305]

Day 8:

            Our last day started a bit slower than some of the others. With no real agenda left, but getting back to Muscat, our departure from Sur was not too rushed. We started making our way north up the coast, passing a few small villages and a large refinery. Stopping at another wadi, we walked up into a village. Taking our time, I sauntered around looking for a few more interesting frames to end the expedition with. After making our way up to the top of the village, Jason and I plopped down in some shade to take a break. It was nice to just sit and talk. The journey was almost over, but I knew its rewards were just beginning.

           

            Upon reaching Muscat, we dumped our bags and tried to see if we could get back to the Grand Mosque, this time in the much more forgiving late afternoon light. With the help of our guides, we were allowed into the outer gardens. The difference between photographing it at this hour and when the sun was high was huge. A warm glow radiated off the white marble, replacing the harsh glare of the midday sun. The gardens were quiet and serene without the overcrowding of tourists. The center dome of the mosque glowed a warm golden yellow. It seemed more like an oasis than ever at this hour. As the sun disappeared over the horizon, I sat down in the green grass and admired the structure for what it was, a truly stunning house of God.

            The crew is leaving tomorrow, and Simon and Jason are departing the day after that. But I’ve decided to stick around Muscat for a few more days, to see what I can come up with on my own. I am going to miss Jason’s tutelage immensely but I feel confident I have grown as a photographer over these past 8 days. I only wish that the trip was 16 days long, not 8. Jason really raised the bar for what I should expect from myself and I feel very blessed to have been able to witness firsthand what hard work and dedication can result in.  Working with a National Geographic photographer was a life changing experience and has inspired me to only work harder at my dream of becoming a professional photographer. I believe that when one journey ends, another begins and I could not have imagined a better experience for preparing me for that next journey, to achieve my dream. 

About jakesalyers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.