Existing Member?

Man from Thar

The Golden Moments

PAKISTAN | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [256] | Scholarship Entry

The cold sun was peeping like nervous bride from the veil of think clouds, though there were no chances of snow in the area but the breeze was very chilly & piercing through the body. It was just noon & we were going to Nathiagally from koh Murrie in the northern part of Pakistan. The road was winding through the lush green valleys of Murrie hills the most scenic parts of Pakistan. Mohammad Ayuob the driver was very cool & calm but the ridges & edges of road with thousands feet steep climbs was breath taking for us. A resident of the ultimate hot Thar Desert the chilly weather of this area was very unfriendly for me but the beauty of virgin nature kept me struck to the window of the car.
The skyline of long pine trees made the path very beautiful, there were little huts scattered here & there, some of them were coffee shops & some groceries. People with shawls wrapped on their bodies & caps on heads were working in the gardens of Almonds some were selling the handmade shawls & scarfs on road side. We stopped on a coffee shop for an strong coffee to boost the energy to fight the cold weather.
On one of the cruel curves of the road in a mirror on the top to show the traffic coming from the other side I notices two little kids with something in little bags in their hands. Their cheeks were gleaming like the fresh red apples. As the car reached them the brought their bags forwards & shouted "Sir Sweet Apples only for you." I asked the driver to stop & stepped down. They rushed to the car with brighter smile on their faces & said in broken Urdu Sir please purchase these apples, we have just brought them from the forest, they are very sweet. Before I can say something the boy continued his words saying that my father is not in this world, mother is not permitted to come out so we are here to earn something. How much for the apples I asked them. Only 10 rupees Sir. I was stunned as these apples were sold on price more then 10 folds in the city markets. Give me the both bags I said & suddenly there was brightness of happiness on their face. They handed over the bags to me I gave them a 50 rupees bill to them, they looked astonished. I said keep all with you. No was the sharp reply, Mom said for 10 only so give us 20. We are not beggars Sir said the boy & I was numb. Giving them 20 rupees bill I felt my self left with no answer. The child ran away to their hut on the top of hill & I thought how blessed was their mother who groomed these little sweet angels.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About jaimoorani


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.