Existing Member?

I've only just begun

Goodbye SE Asia

THAILAND | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [878] | Comments [2]

   I'm days away from leaving SE Asia and I find myself looking back at all that I have experienced.  From the powdery sands of Kof Tao to the 2-day boadt ride down the Mekong.  From the Lao sandwiches to the spectacular ancient city of Angkor Wat.  From the relentless tuk-tuk driver to the landmine victim begging on the street.  This is Southeast Asia with nothing to hide.  Thailand, Laos and Cambodia are unique in there own special way but they all hol many things in common as well.  Besides the endless kiosks selling you fried rice and noodles, people are genuienly curious.  People here are eager to practice their english by asking you questions such as, "Where are you from?" and "Are you Indian?"

  Theravada Buddhism is the belief of choice in this region but it too has its disparities.  Monks are considered venerable and it is a family's pride and joy to have a memeber of the family join the monkhood.  There are all kinds of monks however.  Monks deep in Vippasana mediation.  Monks glued to the screen surfing the net. Monks humbly receving there morning alms at 5am.  Monks smoking cigarettes at every pit stop...

  Thailand without a doubt is far more developed and the tourism industry is at its peak.  Thai's are accustomed to seeing backpackers asing for directions and swarming in from all directions looking for the cheapest guesthouse.  Lao, being the most heavily bombed country in the planet, is far less developed.  Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vinetiane are recieving a steady flow of tourists but people here are still weary of it all.  With a more traditional culture, Laotians are watching as there country evolves.  Thai TV and tourism is bringing modern ideas and development into this suffering country.  With its French infrastructure and delicious Lao soups, it won't be long until Lao becomes another backpacker dreamland.  Cambodia and its beautiful people have been defeated, defiled and spit out by the previous Khmer Rouge.  Landmines saturate the countryside advising people not to sway from the trodden path.  Cambodians deserve a better future and they are moving fast to fit into the world economy.  Upscale tourism is their ticket out of  misery and the world heritage site Angkor Wat is there focal point.  The humanitarian efforts taking place by non-profit organizations to help those less fortunate is astonishing.  Street children are being trained in the service and hospitality industry.  Blind people are given jobs in massage parlors and landmine victims are creating beautiful handmade handicrafts. 

Likewise, the long bus rides to various destinations have been gruesome at times but the views have been incredible.  The galloping limestone mountains of Laos have been so soothing and peaceful.  The flat land of Cambodia allows you to see miles and miles of rice paddies in cultivation.  The busy streets of Bangkok with flashing lights and glamorous lady boys reminds you that here anything is possible. 

  So, has this been a rewarding experience?  With all its ups and downs and turnarounds I must say yes, SE Asia is a jewel in my eyes.  It's a fast-growing rapidly changing region and it is welcoming visitors with open arms.  It has accepted me, being an inexperienced amateur backpacker and it will watch me leave as it recieves hundreds more just like me.

Tags: se asia

Comments

1

Hi Jennnn!!!

Thanks for sharing this! I liked your ending..Wow Cambodia people sound very humble and eager to work. I am glad humanitartian efforts are paying off. It's so wonderful that you got to experience this. Luv ya!

  evie Nov 14, 2008 5:43 AM

2

Hi Jennie,
We've enjoyed your messages and stories. I've followed Matt too. Stay happy and healthy. Say hi to the man.
Love,
Tom and Betty

  Tom & Betty Nov 16, 2008 8:05 AM

About jagis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.