Existing Member?

Runnin' Down A Dream “Life is a journey, not a destination.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sydney!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 6 June 2014 | Views [276]

Good Day!

 

For the past several days I have been in Sydney enjoying the city. I have heard mixed things about Sydney from other travellers, but I have to say that I have enjoyed my stay here. Yes, it is a city after all, but it has a lot of beauty and character to it. The harbor is beautiful and the Opera House and Bridge compliment it very well.

I have mostly found myself walking around the city checking out different sites. Three of those sites being the Opera house, bridge, and Sydney harbor. They are iconic features of this city and they are lovely in person as well. The other day when I was visiting this area I found myself a lovely cafe right on the harbor sandwiched between the bridge and Opera House. It was a beautiful sunny day and it was a fantastic place to sit and admire the view.

In the evenings I have been treated to a daily show in the Darling Harbor in the heart of the city. Right now there is a festival called Vivid taking place and I feel very fortunate to have unknowlingly timed my visit to exerience this. For two weeks during winter the Darling Harbor is turned into a laser and light show. The is a massive projector in the middle of the harbor projecting various images it the mist from the water jets that are syncrinized to music and light. The show is stunning and the reflection off of the water makes it feel magical. Each night there are different shows and with different images. Dancers, scenes from the lion king play, birds, a wold running throught the forest, and lazers are all examples of what the project into the mist. There are several photos and a video clip on the link below.

One of the other special things I have experienced is the Fetherdale Wildlife Sactuary, which lies about 40 minutes outside of the city. This is a place where you can get up close and personal with the animals. They have evereything from several different species of birds, to Koalas, to Kangaroos, to Dingos. I was able to pet and get a picture with Don the Koala. He is 15 years old and certainly didn't mind the attention he was getting. The coolest thing there were the Kangaroos, all of which are use to humans and are not the least bit shy. They roam around the place while the humans walk through. Not only can you pet them you can also feed them. They LOVE icecream cones filled with hay and are not shy about grabbing one for themselves. I bought a couple of cones for the guys and gals and in return was able to hang out with them a bit. As soon as they see the cone they are hover around you waiting for their treat. Most of them were smaller Kangaroos, but there was a larger "Red" Kangaroo that was really cool and liked posing with me for pictures. All were friendly, curious, and terribly cute!

Tonight is my second to last night in Australia. I leave Sunday morning for Fiji and I cannot wait to play in the sand! I will try to post a blog while there, but no promises as I am not sure what the internet situation is over there. 

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jg09e3pi4ma1xrc/AADHM-wI4aCVMwelOSq39qrQa

Cheers,

Jenna

About j_m_j


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.