Existing Member?

Runnin' Down A Dream “Life is a journey, not a destination.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wanaka

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 20 March 2014 | Views [321] | Comments [1]

Tuesday 3/18

After spending the day by the lake I went with a group of girls to dinner and a movie at Paradiso. You may think this is kind of an odd choice while backpacking, but this wasn't just any ordinary theater... This was probably the coolest theater I have ever been to. Let me set the scene for you all. From the outside of the theater it doesn't look like anything spectacular and even when you go in the entrance it is nothing spectacular. It is basically set up like a cafe as you walk in and then as you continue you see movie posters all of the walls. They basically use them as the wallpaper. If you want to eat you have the option to be served dinner before or during the movie. Then as you walk into the theater you see about 10 rows of seats, but these are not your average movie theater seats. These seats range from one, two, and three seat sofas, a old volkswagon beattle (yes, the entire car is in there) with four seats on the ground floor, and other random seats spread around. Everyone picks their seats and are treated to a movie. That night we watched Monuments Men, which turned out to be a very good movie. About halfway through, the movie stops for an intermission and everyone follows the aroma of fresh baked cookies to the front counter. There were three different types of cookies all looking very appealing. I chose the chocolate chip and boy was it good. I tell you there is nothing better then going to a movie theater with a group of people you like, sitting on a sofa, eating a wonderfully tasty warm cookie, and just simply enjoying the experience.

Wednesday 3/19

I was treated with another sunny beautiful day today, so I thought it would be fun to rent a mountain bike for the day and take to the trails. The trail I chose takes you along the east side of Lake Wanaka and boasts spectacular views of the lake and mountains. The whole way I marvelled at my surroundings because to be honest, it all looks like picture, none of it looks real. I biked may way along the trail taking what must of been hundreds of pictures. I was not in a hurry, I stopped when I wanted to and took as many pictures as I could. The trail follows the lake shore and then the lake flows into a river and the trail continues along the river. For the most part the trail was pretty flat, switching from pavement, gravel, sand, and dirt. Once you hit the part of the trail by the river the terrain goes up and down it gets smaller, and its just you with the river on one side and banks and cliffs on the other. There are certain areas where you are not allowed to stop because the cliffs are eroding and rocks and dirt are falling on the trail. Once you get past this point the trail goes into a forested area which is very pretty. The trees are starting to change to yellow as we get deeper into the fall season. At one point I was biking through yellow and greens trees, over a bridge, and the whole time the river was never out of sight. There were tons of places to hop of the trail and simply just sit next to the riverside and take it all in and thats what I did. The trail forks off and you can continue going along or you can go into the little town called Albert Town. This town literally consists of a tavern and a convienence store that doubles as a post office. I grabbed a drink, sat for a bit and headed back to the trail to return to Wanaka. The way back was just as wonderful as the way there. Even though this was the same trail I had already taken it was just as wonderful, if not more. I was seeing things from a different angle this time around..

Thursday 3/20

My last day in this beautiful place. This morning I went out for Coffee with some of the girls I have been travelling with and then we headed to the beach for a bit. Later today I am going to a free wine tasting with a Dutch Girl, Susan. The weather is in the 70s, sunny, and clear skies. Wanaka is by far my favorite place in New Zealand so far. Tomorrow I leave for Queenstown, the adrenaline junky capital.

Just a few more thoughts....

I know in all of my posts I keep rambling on how beautiful everything is here, but there really is no other way to describe it. New Zealand is a place that no matter where you look, you will never be disappointed with what you see. It seems impossible that such a small country has such a diverse and unbelievably beautiful terrain. This is a place where you can sit for hours by yourself and not be bored. You soak in your surroundings and a sense of calm and peace come over you. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to distract you. Nothing to hurry you along. Just you, the mountains, water, birds singing, the ducks playing, and the rusting of leaves in the wind.

Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h2alloxom3d6kza/ASD6_PZMud

Cheers,

Jenna

Comments

1

Miss Jenna... such lovely blog about such a lovely place... by a lovely lady... enjoy
Ray

  Ray Wiseman Mar 27, 2014 1:16 PM

About j_m_j


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.