Existing Member?

J9Fabre Antarctica, Patagonia, Buenos Aires... Dec07-Jan08

Perito Moreno Glacier

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 27 December 2007 | Views [574] | Comments [2]

Wow! ... what more can I say?  Absolutely incredible.  I had no idea how big this glacier is.  I can´t remember much of the stat´s right now except that it moves something like 2 metres each day.  While we were there we saw some calving (glacier ice falling).  And when that happens it is sooo loud.  The glacier continuously moves so it is continuously cracks & pops (and that sounds more like a gunshot).  Often you would hear it rumble & ice fall but by the time the sound reaches you, the ice is already in the water.  Made catching it on film very difficult.

First off we walked on the glacier itself which was amazing.  We walked in crampons (took a bit of getting used to) & then we walked for about an hour before finishing with a whisky on glacier ice.  After our little trek on the glacier, we had lunch & then went to the the lookout on the other side for more amazing views.  Check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/janinef71/ for some more pictures.

Yesterday was Christmas Day.  In the morning we drove back from El Chalten.  Then we all went out for dinner together last night.  Today to the Glacier.  Tomorrow off to Chile to Puerto Natales, and after that we trek for another 6 days staying in refugios. 

Anyway, hope Christmas & Boxing Days were enjoyable for all.  And Happy New Year to you all.

Love J9x

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Great shots Janine.....simply stunning!!!
We arrived back home in Singapore one hour ago from Batam (Island of Indonesia) had a wonderful week of rest, walking, reading and eating. (no time for scrabble) But now happy to be back to internet access and to be able to see all these wonderful piks!!

  leone Dec 27, 2007 9:21 PM

2

Hi Neen just caught up with your adventures, sounds great. Haven't had a chance to look at photo's yet
We are all well. Christmas here this year great fun. Hope yours was good. Can't wait to catch up when you get back
Luv Jules & Graeme

  Julia Peterson Dec 27, 2007 10:42 PM

About j9fabre


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.