Existing Member?

Tasting Asia

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 24 April 2012 | Views [608] | Scholarship Entry

Last year I busted my beautiful behind working like crazy so that I could go on a trip with my partner. I am originally from Novi Sad, Serbia,. but I am currently living in Zagreb, and seeing as the coast of Croatia is gorgeous, we decided to go to the island of Vis. As my partner knows that gastro-tourism is my passion, we visited a few forums and blogs about local restaurants and food characteristic for the area. We are both vegetarians, (we eat fish and sea food) , so you won't read about meat delicacies here. The restaurant I will never forget was the third or the fourth on our list of earthly sins. It was about seven in the evening, and the day was slowly turning into the night. We sat at the table right beside the sea, and if you overlook the huge romantic cliche with the sea, sunset and stuff, I can tell you, it was extraordinary. We both started with home made wine (costs an arm and a leg, but is worth every penny), I had red, and she had white. There was nothing sour in it, on the contrary, it had a hint of sweetness. As we slowly sipped it, we picked hors d'oeuvre. I decided to try the homemade "Viska pogaca", consisting of thin, soft dough stuffed with anchovies, fresh tomatoes, onions and Mediterranean herbs. Sweet mother of tastes, that was so good! However, what I had next almost made me forget the juicy "pogaca". When the plate full of warty venus clams was set in front of me, I seriously thought I was dreaming. They are served with homemade olive oil, garlic, parsley and many heavenly spices I cannot name with presiciion. Their shells are white, and the inside is similar to mussels, only much tastier. The blend of salt in the air, the perfect wine and the clams made this one of the most memorable meals I have ever had.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About izvormoj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.