Existing Member?

Youth Wanderlust

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 23 March 2012 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

This adventure I had gave me a lesson that would forever influence my life.

I was in Beijing last December on a business/leisure trip for a week. I had finished whatever I needed to accomplish for the visit, and decided to wander about this historic city. The smog was somewhat lessened, being replaced by the chilling bite of winter. Deciding that the sun will help warm me up, I left my hotel early in the morning and took the first bus I saw at the bus stop.

Someway or another, I found myself in Ghost Street, the food haven famous amongst both locals and tourists. The food there was interesting enough, with the likes of scorpions and beetles. Strolling around, I took a closer look at the various roadside stores set up and viewed some of the things on sale.

There was this little store that caught my attention. A middle-aged man and a teenaged girl, were selling Tang Hu Lu, a traditional Chinese snack. Despite intense competition and fairly biting weather, this odd couple were smiling and having a good time, smiling to one another and chatting often.

Strolling up to them, I greeted the man and enquired about the price of his food. The lanky adult, upon seeing me, immediately broke into a large smile and gave me a very reasonable price. Being the opportunist, I bought a couple of his snacks. Biting into the tidbit, I smiled and asked of his good mood.

As it turns out, his wife of 20 years have just passed on, and she was all he had left. They do not get a lot of time together, since he has to work and she's studying. He treasures whatever time he has with her, and enjoys it, not letting minor things distract them together.

He smiled and offered me a free drink, which I declined. I bid them farewell and made my way back to my hotel. Life has a funny way of working with us. A man who lost his heart manages to fight away the hurt and appreciate the positivity in life. Why are people out there who are troubled far less complaining much more?

It's a wonderful thing indeed.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About izkeh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.