Existing Member?

sunstories

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 21 March 2011 | Views [278] | Scholarship Entry

To have the chance to see every corner, to feel the spirit of the place you are…
I need it. I do believe my Bulgarian roots have lots of common things with Turkish culture.
As a journalist I started my radio theater project with the problem about human communication, about relations between us. In my researches I was totally convinced that the essence of the past has been already lost. Nowadays we can discover it only by traveling, in and out of Bulgaria.
Obviously somewhere in the line of the time, the connection with our grandparents has been untied.
I am fascinating in finding this pure communication among people, where nobody needs a mask, nobody should lie in order to be saved. That’s why I came back home, to talk to these old people, who are the memories of the history.
I was born in a small village, but during all my journeys around the world, I understood that my house is not Bulgaria and Bulgaria is not the world.
Good intercultural dialogue? Organizations, festivals, song of the songs… But what about the people themselves? Has somebody ever tried to open and to make dialogue with these grannies, who are sitting on the poor wooden bunches on the street?
It just happened that young generation is on the top of the society. But, where we can go if we don’t have the basement, the knowledge of our roots?
For me it is an example how we should change the society in a good way.
This makes me believe in the fact that I have to travel and to look for this common rituals and traditions through which the old generations have survived.
I will use this material as a story for theater, very necessary theme, which can be developed from a new point of view and new spirit of the reality.
Communications with different cultures shows us very clear, that human life is so short to get to know all the cultures in the world.
Also this contact with different places and unknown culture gives another motivation – to see your own culture through “the eyes” of your neighbour’s culture. Because my problems are the problems of my neighbour.
And only my neighbour is so close to me, that can help me immediately in difficult moments! Taking our hand by hand and just be humanists!

Going back to the Past lest have a look to the Future!


Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About iva


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.