Existing Member?

Urban Wonderland

Haga Nygata Street

SWEDEN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [309] | Scholarship Entry

Never had I expected to meet a white rabbit in the middle of the city, yet that is exactly what happened to me in Gothenburg. I immediatly thought that I must had been mistaken with my mum, since she’s the one called Alice, not me!
It was raining as I was walking down Haga Nygata - not the best weather condition for exploring, but a true explorer doesn’tt complain about the weather, so neither did I. There were beautiful wooden houses everywhere around me and their colors made this grey afternoon a little less grey.
On my left, I spotted a tiny fence with a tiny lawn behind it. Short Swedish fences were no surprise for me anymore at that point, I have seen them many times. It seemed a little odd to spot such fence in the middle of a city, but at the same time, it wasn’t anything I hadn’t seen before. But never have I ever seen a white rabbit behind such fence.
There it was, looking right at me. I saw a card that said: this rabbit belongs to the apartment above. Well, that certainly explained a lot. Still confused, I said goodbye to my new, white-furred friend and kept on walking the street, but couldn’t stop thinking I just landed in Wonderland. By the time I spotted a heart-shaped-everything store, I was pretty sure about it. There I was, in the middle of Urban Wonderland.
Everything looked different there. Better. I know what they say about the grass on the other side of the fence, but Swedish grass really did seem greener to me. Even the one in the city. With a white rabbit on it.
The nature seemed more genuine there, beutiful people were smiling and even the rain seemed less anoying all of a sudden. And there really was a store, where everything was heart-shaped. A true kingdom of Queen of Hearts.
There were a few coffee shops around, but one of them, Le Petit Café, seemed particulary cosy. The second I stepped in, the stron aroma of coffee went through my nose and I swear I felt it running through my veins. I bought a cup of this black ambrosia called kokkaffe and a typical Swedish sweet treat, kanelbulle - a cinnamon bun.
I sat in a corner and listened to this language I love. It was music to my ears. I was sipping my hot drink, listening, not saying a word and being a shrinking violet because of my poor language skills. But then I remembered what would Alice do and I got a bite of my kanelbulle, hoping to grow - to grow in confidence and speak to someone sitting next to me in Swedish, even if it was nowhere near fluent.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About iunko


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.