Existing Member?

NAIVE

naive

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 20 September 2010 | Views [169]

about 16 years ago my wife and I and another couple, decided to take a trip to CURACEAU,in the dutch antilles. beautiful country, a place not taken in by current means, a set back in times. we had the comfort of a time share right on the sea coast, in a beautiful two bedroom suite, overlooking the ocean, in its majestic beauty. one evening we went to a hotel with a lounge for dancing a good drinks, and hoping to meet some locals, for an all around festive time.I happen to get up and walk around and check out the beautiful inside decorations, and lo and behold I see a wallet partially sticking out of a bamboo reclining chair.I examined the inside of the wallet, and to my surprize there was about $3200 dollars. I decided to lean on caution and bring it to the front desk.I was cautioned by an employee not to go that route, because they would not look for the owner, and keep the money for themselves. I decided to take the wallet to the downtown area and try to locate the immigration office in hoping they would send it to its proper owner. they would not help. in the meantime, somehow the manager of the hotel got wind of me finding the wallet and called up the local police station.on the following day they approached me and told me to hand over the wallet. I told them I would, but they would have to copy all information, and give me a copy of each piece. they refused and put the handcuffs on me, and escorted me to jail. a very scarey poition to be in, in a foreign country. about two hours I was approached by senior officals, and they said that they would comply with my demand. they released me soon after. in the following months, while we were back home, we received a letter from the senior officals stating that I did not find the wallet but an employee found it and asked me to turn in because of any reprisals to him. I can only surmise that they kept the money for them selves, in that country the was a significant amount..

Tags: humbling expiercense

 

About itravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.