Existing Member?

Writing Europe

Casual in Hindustan

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [204] | Scholarship Entry

My academic advisor approved my exchange semester in New Delhi, India. Hindustan is irrelevant to my field of studies (i.e. European Affairs). My strong desire to explore that part of the world was stronger than a "vulnerable" relevance matter. My advisor gave up and approved my trip. I will never forget that day. I will never forget the move from Paris to New Delhi. The move from my Parisian school's radical Capitalism to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)'s radical Communism. I will never forget my story as a "Casual Student." Here are bits of my story in Hindustan, or Life-stan.

Exchange students in JNU are referred to as “casual students.” That pretty much means that we do not figure on the students list that the administration hands to professors at the begging of the academic year. It did not annoy me to be called a « casual student » regardless of how funny that nomination might sound. Eventually, I started cracking jokes about it with my Indian friends. Also, being a casual student did not deprive you of the right to have a JNU Student Card. And, a JNU Student Card means access to monuments, libraries and art galleries in Delhi while paying the Indian fare not the “foreigners” one. Never underestimate that since paying the Indian fare often means paying ten to twenty times less! Being an Exchange student also means having student colleagues being very interested in getting to know you. JNU is the campus where a "casual student" gets invited for a cup of chai at least three times a day to talk about subject ranging from Bollywood and its “hottest” stars to corruption in India and its political figures. One should get ready for the famous question “What brought you to India? “ or “Why India?”

I got to India right before I turned 27-­years-­old thinking that I got enough experience and travelled enough not to learn anymore about myself. I think I underestimated this country’s powerful lessons, being a "casual student." I was not there to live clichéd India. I did not go to an Osho Ashram. I did not read Gita. And, I did not have Yoga every morning at 6:00AM. However, I travelled a lot. I read often and I talked to people everyday. Thanks to all that, I believe more and more in my capacity to communicate with people even when they speak little English and I speak little Hindi. I was a "casual student" but my experience in Hindustan was definitely not "casual."

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About itineris


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.