Existing Member?

Live.Travel.Adventure.Bliss.

A Piece of Life

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [160] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I saw Rameshwaram, it was hidden lightly by the mighty clouds as i peeped through the train. My heart skipped a beat. As the clock strikes 4am I was tapped lightly in the shoulder as someone said, ' Do you want to see outside? We are nearing Pamban Bridge'. A moment of haziness as i just awoke, i tugged my cardigan close to my chest and walk out. On any other normal days I would have had my instinct voice-over by Morgan Freeman with drum-rolls and firecrackers in the background, however today in total silence I walked slowly to the door, a fresh breeze swept past me. As i stood near the door I closed my eyes, the waters crashed on shores. A playful music rendered by nature. It was not an ordinary night; the dark sky was so beautiful carrying millions of stars. A mystical destination, the setting for the grand epic of Ramayana. The gods and their stories breathe life into every corner of this city and its inhabitants. The Bay of Bengal was lined up with white and blue colored fishing boats side by side that it’s so surreal. Straight up was the temple complex with all the intricate carvings that makes you wonder. Another few steps down the road I saw the temple priest walking the temple elephant with all its pomp and grandeur to start the daily prayers perfumed by jasmine flowers.Walking on the streets and overlooking the ocean where the waves crash, I saw the army of squirrels, monkeys and bears getting ready to wage the war against the Ravana. Every little sound and scenery takes me back to the legends where good prevailed over evil. It’s a nice little feeling watching Ramayana unfold from your imagination andI caught myself sitting at the barber near the ocean. Some walking like they are out of time. Some dancing to all the time in the world. And then there was this cow starring right into my eyes and said "Really Chelvi, you want to shave your hair off?" I see what you’re trying to do Gauri! Yes I named the cow don't judge me people. After telling Gauri it was all for good, I saw my hair being shaved off.....I have traveled all the way here just do realized that life is just about being life. Like a tree, like the ocean...like the cat. India led a simple life. Nothing special just ordinary that had turned out to be extraordinary."So tell me how what India"? Its mysticism, its magic, it’s beautiful and something you must breathe in and experience. Let life embrace you.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About itchyfeetstreet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.