Existing Member?

Italy's Famous Five- The Ligurian Coast

An Enchanting Excursion to Italy's Jewel Towns

ITALY | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [115] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that I went to The Cinque Terre, the five coastal villages located on the Ligurian coastline of Northern Italy. Literally meaning five lands, The Cinque Terre includes- Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso el Mare or Monterosso.

My very own Italian trip started from a sleepy little town called Biassa, very much near The Cinque Terre, where I stayed. The hostel where I stayed in was owned by a kind and very handsome Italian man who advised me to head to Monterosso the next morning. I was also suggested to hike my way from Monterosso towards the other villages. Already abuzz with energy, I dreamt of perfect sunsets and delicious wine.

Early next morning, I went to Riomaggiore, the first village, and purchased a 2-day Cinque Terre card. This card included unlimited train travel between the five villages as well access to the hiking paths of the Italian villages.

A beautiful day awaited me- the Sun god generous, because it was I who headed to the beach (y) avenues- an opportunity I rarely got in the hilly terrain of Northern India. I hopped on the train which was heading to Monterosso and saw an expanse of clear blue skies and rugged coastline. The gigantic sea called out to me and the slow sound of waves on the rocks welcomed me. It enthralled my senses.

I started the much acclaimed trek to the other villages from Monterosso with a mixed bunch of people. As we trekked, we chatted and saw vineyards, citrus trees and olive fields in profusion. Every now and then I would catch my breath and soak myself in the beauty of the Italian Riviera. It was just so enchanting, so Hollywood like.

After about an hour or so I reached the second village- Vernazza with pastel hued homes and cobbled streets. The view from atop the hill of Vernazza was surreal and impeccable. Vernazza offered a sumptuous meal apart from the striking coastline views.

We were later told that the trek to the next village, Corniglia, was shut due to heavy downpuour and that we should head straight to Manarola to see the beautiful sunset. And it was so right. Manarola left me smitten. I saw the most serene sunset in Manarola. It opened my heart and mind to the simpler things of life which we oh so often miss. The Cinque Terre- there is nothing as peaceful as visiting you, of lofty mountains, beaches and dry stone walls flanked by cherries, wisteria and iris; that was Cinque Terre for me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About italophilia11


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.