Existing Member?

life'n road

A pint of gratitude.

IRELAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [278] | Scholarship Entry

It's night and I am in Derry. Londonderry, a pretty city in Norther Ireland, so in th United Kingdom, but don't tell this to the Irish people. i arrived just few hours ago, and me and my travelling companion decide to go downtown from the hill were we are now and visit the historical citycenter . It's a cool night, the air is freezing our lungs and the path going through the hill is barely illuminated. we won't see the beautiful landscape untill the next morning. We reach the bottom of the downhill and nothing but the periphery welcomes us. We are higher than the city anyway, and we can see its lights reflected into the river, which is crossed by a curious curvy bridge, with curious and changing colours. What a wonderful show! How can we get there? With our thumbs up and asking wittness to humanity.Which is not long in coming. A really nice woman agrees to give us a ride.So we're finally in the city center, and the first thing i note are the beautiful readheaded girls out of the pubs, waiting to get inside. The second are the miniskirts they wear despite the cold weather. wonderful girls! But, even if join that crow is a great temptation, being a man in Ireland, I can't refuse to have a beer, which is what we did! suffused lights, a couple of people at the counter and a barman so short that i should have sit down on the stool to look him into his eyes. Two Guinnesses. And then two again. And again. A burly man approaches us, toasts with us and, after a not so soft pat on the back, he asks me where am I from. We chat for a while, I ask him some information about the city and he asks me to talk about Italy, and if Berlusconi is really the one they see on television, if he really celebrates the so called "bunga bunga". A part from his interest in inappropriate presidents, what surprised me were the incredible kindness and patience of this man, totally in contrast with his apperence. He corrected the words I was saying bad.he repeated to me the words I did not understand, doing the spelling if necessary.He pointed out to me the most interesting places of the city. But above all it offered me two delicious whiskey. This is brotherhood. This is to be world citizens. This has also been a great drink! The beautiful red hairs could wait. That evening I just wanted to give a pint of gratitude to my new friend.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About italo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.