Existing Member?

ranting and musing

Fair Trade of Fear for Passion

USA | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [396]

Indonesia was a country I never considered visiting until I met someone from there who became irresitable to me. Thus it became necessary to take a trip and meet her family and make arrangements for our future life together. Traveling to her country transformed me from a reasonable person who would never willfully leave the safety of my comfort zone  to an adventurous spirit who seemingly no longer possesses the instinct to avoid risk.

 

Among the challenges on my list of concerns regarding this initial journey to Indonesia was one item that included a plethora of sub-categories. Danger!  In my mind I had actually calculated the astonishing sum of ways that I might realistically lose my life, and the number has not a small one. But fear was not enough to keep me from persuing this girl. With my affection for her dictating my decisions, I was soon on my first of 15 flights in the next 17 days (most affordable option on my limited budget). She had arranged an excitingly busy itinerary for the purpose of introducing me to an equal proportion of culture and adventure in her homeland.

 

My fiancé and I started our condensed tour of Indonesia at “Kilometer Zero” in Sabang , Sumatra. Her plan was to introduce me to snorkeling, because few locations on Earth can compare to the natural beauty of that place. She was confident that my amazement would overshadow my fear. She was not wrong. Although I was terrified to get out of the boat at first, once I looked under the water, I was a changed person forever!

 

Upon splashing in and dipping my face beneath surface of an unimaginably clear sea, I was entirely overwhelmed by vistas of biodiversity that fully defied all that I had ever known to be possible. The seafloor was 20 meters below my feet, yet I could see every detail as though I were standing on it. I opened my eyes wider attempting to take in all the beauty. The massive layers of every species of coral, so colorful that they would humble the most elaborate fire works exhibition, were vast beyond description. The fish were ‘flying’ all around my body! Up & down and left & right; every shape, size, and color, and  never ceasing their well-choreographed performance. My whole life up until those first ten seconds in the sea now seemed ridiculously small.

 

Joyfully do I recall the exact moment that my life became meaningful. On August 6th of 2007, when I accepted the fair trade of fear for passion. That very second was when sharks, snakes, crocodiles, monster (real or imagined), sinking ships, crashed planes, natural disasters of all magnitudes, diseases of every mutation, and even crazed bombers could no longer hold me hostage! Beauty and love had set me free. Now and always there could be no doubt that there is a God, and he obviously wants me to be happy. 

About istoofar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.