Existing Member?

How I became addicted

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

TURKEY | Saturday, 19 March 2011 | Views [234] | Scholarship Entry

Since I was 9 months old, I am in Turkey every summer and since my father is Turkish, I guess I know the Turkish culture quite well. However, I recognized very soon that Istanbul has its own culture and characteristics that cannot be found anywhere else in Turkey. Firstly, Istanbul has its own smell. You can notice it especially in the older districts of the city which are close to the bosphorus like Eminönü or Karaköy. It is a mixture between the salty breeze of the Sea of Marmara, the emissions of cars and the old ferries and particuarly the smoke from the antique-looking boats, selling "Balik Ekmek", which is grilled fish, put in wheat bread. This may sound very romantic, but I cannot stand it. However, each time I smell it, I realize that I am back in Istanbul. Secondly, Istanbul has its own noise. When you walk down the Istiklal Caddesi, you can hear languages from all over the world and also all over Turkey. American tourists who are planning the next days, little blond girls on their way back home from the German Lycée, chatting in German, Turkish people from the east, discussing on the phone in a strong accent. When you walk further, you can hear the sceams of the seagulls, which sound like psychopathic laughter. Sometimes you can also hear the horn of the ferries, the bell of the old tram and of course, the call to prayer from one of over 3000 mosques. Additionally, at night you can hear the music from the bars and clubs. Rock music in Asmali Mescit, Electro in Tomtom, traditional Turkish music in Nevizade, street musicians, sitting on the steps of the old buildings. The third characteristic is the difference of the districts. Beyoglu, which I described before is famous for its nightlife but when you cross the Galata Bridge, you are in districts like Fatih and Eyüp, where the people are very religious since Eyüp is a place of pilgrimage. Next to these is Balat. Here you can find Jews and members of the Greek-Orthodox Church. Sultanahmet is the touristic center, most of the hotels and tourists are here because of the sights like Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, the Grand Bazaar and so on are nearby. When you are on the Asian side of Istanbul, you will recognize soon that it is less touristic. People walking around with a map can only be seen rarely, noone tries to take you into his shop to sell a carpet or fake clothes. Istanbul is a city full of differences and clashes, of impressing richness and great poverty, of cultural sights and roaring nightlife. Every time I visit the city, I recognize new characteristics and discover other districts. It is always exciting. That is why I am addicted to this amazing city.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About istanbuloholic


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.