Existing Member?

Corner to corner: Living Mexico

The Mayan paradise

MEXICO | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [131] | Scholarship Entry

The history of Mexico is vast, rich and mysterious. I´ve always been intrigued by my country´s past and I´ve been fortunate enough to be able to visit some of the places I saw on my History books when I was little.
Tulum always interested me: these beautiful, mystical pyramids on top of a hill, overlooking a turquoise, crystal clear ocean, looked like a hidden paradise to me.
I went to Playa del Carmen last year and it was the first time I looked at the Caribbean Sea. When I first looked at it, I was mesmerized. Coming from a city next to the Pacific Ocean, I´m used to a cold, dark blue sea, full of menacing waves. When I first had my feet touched by this beautiful, calm, warm sea, I was speechless.
During my few days there, I knew that I had to visit Tulum. I had a failed attempt two days before I actually visited it: my best friend and I rode on public transportation for an hour, and when we were almost there, we saw a menacing mass of clouds approaching us. Uh oh. It started pouring, and when we arrived to Tulum, we knew it was a storm, but we still wanted to try to go in. We got off the bus, and the air blew our raincoats. We were there for 2 minutes and we were so close, yet so far from Tulum, but the air and rain were so strong, that we had to take a bus right back to Playa del Carmen, feeling defeated.
We decided to go back two days later, and with a bright sun shining this time, we were ready for an adventure. We got to the entrance and bought our tickets. I was so excited, my heart was pounding, I was about to see the live version of what I had seen on books for many years.
We walked a little and we crossed a stone arch and suddenly, we were there. This vast, green field, covered with palm trees, opened before us. Ruins and small pyramids everywhere, I was in awe. We started walking and I just could not wrap my mind around all the beauty that I was experiencing. There´s a certain energy of respect and solemnity that you feel. I could really see why the Mayans had chosen such a privileged place. It looks like time has stood still.
When I look back, I can feel myself standing on top of those hills, looking at the sea and feeling the breeze on my face. I am still there. I can feel the past. I can see the people that walked on that ground before me and I honor them. I lived history. And I will always hold on to that memory.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About islamar

In Xcaret

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.