Existing Member?

Third world girl travels overseas

Panic at Morocco

MOROCCO | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

It has been three very short years that I didn't come to realize passed so fast. It was my first overseas experience when I went to live to Italy for a semester for studying industrial design and as soon as I got there I discovered the almighty, euro-saver, not-so-reliable-but-who-cares Ryanair.
So, in between my constant visits to the website I found the incredible 8€ flight from Bergamo, Italy (I was living in Torino) to Marrakesh, Morocco. Taking the train and bus to the airport was far more expensive than getting to Africa, something absolutely new and exciting for me. Just so you know, I'm a girl from Chile and traveling only inside my country can be very expensive.
But moving on, there I was in a country, in a city surrounded with people, a language, a culture and an architecture that I have never seen before with my own eyes. I was with 3 other girls from my country who got really scared and wanted to go back to Europe ASAP, but I wouldn't go for that. I wanted to take as much as I could during those 4 days planned.
As the newbies we were, we took a 2 days tour to the Sahara desert, which included driving by different landscapes, camel riding and sleeping in a tent in the sand. That was just fine, excellent actually, but we lived a truly horrible experience, probably the time I've been more scared in my life.
So, the first day of the tour we met our driver, Rajid, at 7 am outside the walls of the center of Marrakesh. Not all of us spoke english nor french and absolutely nothing that sounded like arab, and our new friend spoke just a bit of english and the rest was mainly gestures. We began our trip heading towards the Atlas Mountains with a few stops in between. One of them was for drinking some green tea with mint (a a LOT of sugar) or whatever you pleased and sightseeing the valley. Rajid told us we had ten minutes so we went to the viewer, took pictures, rest a bit and went back down. To our surprise/instant panic neither Rajid nor our jeep was there. And our jeep containing EVERYTHING, all our luggage, money, passports, plain tickets, mobile phones... We were left there, in the road, with the clothes we had on and our cameras, anything else! So confusion turned into panic which turned into tears of desperation in what for me were hours, but probably just a couple of minutes, until a familiar jeep came by and someone familiar laughing really hard at us. He had to go register the jeep so took advantage of his chance. I hate him until this day.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About isidorajose


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.