Existing Member?

Bella Quaintrelle

UP Diliman: Another World Away

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [219] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I stepped into what was to be my future university; I was too scared out of my wits to notice how beautiful it was.

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve heard one too many stories about the University of the Philippines (UP) and many intimidated me. Only the best of the best can study there, they said. Many of the buildings there are hunted.

But UP became the goal for me.

Needless to say, I was blessed with a chance to really see UP once more, as if it was the first time all over again.
UP Diliman, to me, is more like a quiet, little town within a forest instead of a university campus. It’s easy to forget that right outside are two of the busiest, noisiest main avenues in Metro Manila.

At the heart of the campus is the Academic Oval, which houses the most iconic symbol of UP, a sculpture known as The Oblation. It depicts a man who is mainly naked, except for a fig leaf covering his genitals, with his arms outstretched and head tilted upwards to face the sky. Urban legend has it that students who have their pictures taken with The Oblation do not graduate on time.

Two very famous places are found in the Academic Oval, the Lagoon and the Sunken Garden, which, as its name suggests, sinks a couple of centimeters every year. You can sit on the grass, play Frisbee or soccer or even have a picnic. Joggers and bikers are always seen making their laps around the Oval, which is lined by tall, old trees whose branches stretch over the road like umbrellas, providing much-needed shade.

UP Diliman also has its fair share of places to eat in. Chocolate Kiss and Restaurant of Choice are two popular choices. A much cheaper option is Rodic’s. And of course, there is Mang Larry’s, a kiosk serving local street food including the isaw or barbecued pig or chicken intestines.

Those aren’t the only things you can do in UP. Do you like art? You can visit the Vargas Museum. Do you want to watch a movie? The Film Center often shows many local independent films. Do you want to hunt for ghosts? Wait until the sun goes down and roam the campus. Rumor has it that the Palma Hall and Education building are home to many ghosts.

The UP Diliman campus is a whole new world separate from the one many know and see. It’s a quiet, beautiful piece of heaven (or hell when grades are given) in the midst of all the hustle and bustle of the city. For members of the UP community like myself, UP is simply home away from home.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About isabella_javier


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.