Existing Member?

Time out (middle) East

Arrival etc

PALESTINE | Friday, 5 September 2008 | Views [263]

Jeez, I've never been made to feel more like a terrorist in my life. Arriving at Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv is reknowned for being pretty gruelling, espcially if you've got some dodgy stamps in your passport. Well, I've a bunch of Jordanian ones, an Egytptian visa and the best one of all... Yemen. Passport control are quite lovely until they see that one. Smile smile smile, oh Yemen... come with me. They asked me so many personal questions it was insane. They didn't buy my travelling for a few months story and made it pretty clear if I lied again they'd deport me straight away. I should have lied better, but it was 4am and they're tough.  Are you a member of any anti-Israeli organizations? How much money do you have? (to this is replied, well £1500 savings and £1500 overdrawn, so about £0? They weren't amused). What were you doing in Yemen? Studying? For only two weeks? uh huh...  What type of arabic do you speak? Is it Palestinian? Syrian? (basically wanting me to say I spoke terrorist). Anyhoo, so finally got to go past passport control with my 2 month visa ("you're on our system. Don't even try to leave and come back in") and got stopped at the next point by some other douchebag who wanted to search my luggage for an hour... Finally left the airport, some 4 plus hours after landing, got a bus to Jerusalem (who ripped me off), then rickety bus to Ramallah and even ricketier bus to Huwarra checkpoint where you have to get off with all your luggage and walk through a massive cage while Israelis point big guns at you. Got into a taxi to take me to Nablus, took out my phone to phone my contact to tell me where to go and lo and behold, my battery had died.  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. After much convincing, the taxi man took my to internet which turned out to be somewhere I had visted last year, the Yaffa centre which is a cultural centre mainly for the refugees in Balata Camp (which is, incidentally where about 60 kidknapped Hamas affiliates were held hostage last year). Well there was my knight in shining armour who gave me internet and called my contact and found me another taxi and took my bags and escorted me to my final destination. Ahmed = legend. Amazing, he even paid for the taxi.


The school itself is really nice, it's a massive building which has been donated to the school for 3 years. Crazy though, it's the same place I was in last year for the first week. So I arrived after this massively long and stressful journey and pitched up at the same place i arrived at a year ago. I just started laughing but my taxi driver didn't speak English and i was too delusional with lack of sleep to string any arabic together.  My first two days teaching have been ok, but so tiring. You'd think they'd have no energy because it's Ramadan, but no. Bouncy bouncy.  I took my first drama class today which was hellish. They can't take too much stimulation or they just go crazy. I took them to the gym (like a large classroom with no desks) so we could get space to do stuff but then they found the balls and it was downhill from there. It must have been quite funny to watch, I pick one up to put it away, turn my back for a second and BAM, there's five more rolling around. I think most of the lesson was taken up with me trying to get them back to the classroom again. I've decided to teach less drama, and more 'animated English conversation".  We finish at about 2.30 every afternoon so i'm still going to try and volunteer somewhere as otherwise you just come home and nap and eat and then go to sleep again.

The school are really keen for us to stay the year - understandably. Vusa runs are too unreliable and that's not even an option for me. So they've hired an Israeli lawyer who's trying to get us work permits. Apparently the school are paying him quite alot (if he succeeds) but i don't know how it'll work out.  They've also asked if I'm willing to just 'expire' which basicaly means stay here illegally for a year so when I leave they'll blacklist my name and i'll never be allowed back in to the country.  I'm not so keen on this.  They were mean enough the first time.

No bacon here and Ramadan is a bitch. I get so thirsty and there's no midmorning coffee or anything. My new favourite thing to do is buy ice cream on the way home from school and guzzle it the moment i get into the flat and out of sight. 

I'm going to spend the day with a Palestinian friend tomorrow, he used to throw stones at the Israelis. It's going to be fun.

About isabel_hunter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Palestine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.