Existing Member?

Kaleidoscope

Million shooting stars

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [105] | Scholarship Entry

Like a typical tourist, one of the first things I did in Sydney was to go visit Darling Harbour at night. All those shiny gleaming perfectly spotless glass buildings made me realize how far we have come in our thirst for perfection but how detached from others we have become.But keeping those oppressive thoughts at bay I set out to explore the area.Exquisite restaurants lined the entire harbour twinkling from a distance and the Pyrmont Bridge was simply breath taking. Well let's just add here that i was travelling with my family as a young teenager and where there is alcohol around my folks tend to imagine all sorts of dire situations, the outcome of which is they imagine me wasting my life away as a drunkard. Yes, apparently anyone who drinks will become an addict eventually. So instead I ended up watching a movie at the IMAX theatre.
Due to my "guardian angels" keeping a watch over me, I was sitting away in a corner feeling a little grumpy, staring randomly at people, which in retrospect was probably a little creepy. And suddenly,out of the blue I saw a red burst of sparkly lights. Before i knew it one after the other the sky lit up with gorgeous colors of red, blue, green,golden and it looked like night had suddenly come alive and was calling all of us in to celebrate. A fireworks show is a rare thing to see at the harbour since its only done on special occasions but i knew something good had to come out of that day.I was meant to be there at that specific moment.In all the excitement and the happiness I realized i was holding hands with my parents and the look of joy on their faces was what made me thank my lucky stars that i had them with me.
The sky was a beautiful expression of what I was feeling inside. The exuberance, the shouts of people nearby,the look of awe and delight on everyone's faces and it was in that single moment that I came to know that somewhere deep down we are all held together by bonds which are difficult to describe but their existence is a reality. Just then a shower of golden stars took over the sky and it was almost like it was day again. That shimmery and bright display of fireworks over the bridge was a spectacle to behold and it let me imagine the world i wanted to be in.
And just as it started, it ended or at least that's how I felt. After the show was over I kept wishing I could have seen more but I will never forget the day I saw a million shooting stars. And that is how I knew there is still hope left for us.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About iraswain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.