Existing Member?

A journey is measured in friends, not in milles.

I found my second home

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [269] | Scholarship Entry

I had received an email with a promo. It said how I could do social work around the world and the day after, I was trying to convince my mom.
- Mom, I want to do this. Can you imagine if i can teach a little bit of what i know to kids in Africa?
- Ok, If you want to do it, we can make it – she said.

Then, my whole life changed. Which country should I pick? I knew Argentina, Chile and Brazil. For me this was the opportunity to prove myself, so I took the challenge completely, I was ready to live the experience of my life, I wanted to get out of my comfortable bubble in Medellín. Ten days after, I passed the exams with Aiesec. I started to search my internship, but it took me almost five months, therefore, I was really afraid. Money, time, vacations, university, everything mixed in order to make one real dream.

The 22nd of november I arrived to Cairo’s Airport. My heart started beating in Madrid when I took my connection flight. But that feeling at Cairo was something that I cannot explain. I prayed a little bit and I prepared myself to do it.

Me and myself, 21 years old girl in a huge city, one red suitcase full of colors and plasticine for kids, no idea if I should covered my hair. So I only thought: how did I end up here? Please bring me back home. Scary thoughts came all around me, tears started coming. I was a mess. I felt like a little girl in a zoo, do you know that feeling when you lose your parents at the shopping center? Ok, like that, but stronger.

In my mind I was ready to arrive to a muslim country, but when I was picking my luggage I realized that culture, weather and language were really different. Amr, the project manager, picked me up at the airport. One of his friends lent me his cellphone and I called my mom just to tell her “I’m fine”.

I arrived to the Dhalia’s Orphanage, my host Hekma opened the door, she was wearing a typical muslim dress, covered her hair, brown sandals and a smile. I gave her back the best smile I could after traveling almost 24 hours. She showed me my bed in a room next to the kitchen and then the adventure began.

I learned a lot of arabic words, I helped 12 girls to improve their english, I found a lovely woman who taught me as if i was part of her family , I fell in love with an egyptian, I got to know the Red Sea, Alexandria and I pushed my limits just to say that I found my second home in Africa.
Nowadays, I still remember her kindful smile, always there for me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About intouch


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.