Existing Member?

Into the Nature for 10 Days

Great Ocean Road Tour

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 24 April 2015 | Views [171] | Scholarship Entry

One of Australia's most scenic drives, the Great Ocean Road is a magnificent three-day self-drive touring route from surf capital Torquay to the famous 12 Apostles, ending at historic fishing village Port Fairy. Starting from Melbourne, it's an easy 664 km/413 miles, about 9.5 hours drive taking you along cliff tops and surf beaches and through lush rainforest. Along the way, spot koalas, kangaroos and even whales, zip-line your way through a treetop canopy, climb to the peak of a volcanic crater, and relax over regional dining atop a cliff or by the beach.The Great Ocean Walk, which stretches from Apollo Bay through to Glenample Homestead, is an amazing way to see 104km of remarkable sights – most of which you would miss from your car. This walk has a step on and step off approach making it ideal for anyone whether you are interested in a part day, full day or six day hike. This walk can be enjoyed independently or as part of a guided tour. The road itself was built between 1919 & 1926 by soldiers who had just returned from the First World War, and is considered the world's largest & longest war memorial. A visit here will certainly create plenty of memories for you. The Great Ocean Road journey is an experience of one of the world's most scenic coastal drives. It engulfes the historic 12 Apostles, iconic surf breaks, the rain forest walk, and misty waterfalls. I discovered variety of different plant and animal species. Many tress were hundred of years old and still stood like rock. The stunning coastline on the Great Ocean Walk was amazing with beautiful sunset views. Moreover one can also get up close to the specially trained Koala bears in the native wildlife. There are variety of possibilities of exploring surf towns and seaside villages, together with fine dining up and down the coast, and stock up at local winemakers, dairy farms and fresh prove-dores along the way.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About intothenature


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.