Existing Member?

Application

Descriptive essay

MOROCCO | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [2927] | Scholarship Entry

Today it is difficult to impress somebody by telling you have been to an exotic place, nowadays everything is quite accessible. In my opinion, the latest trend is looking for the unique emotions and experiences and I succeeded to gain my unique experience last summer while staying in Morocco.
I have always believed that I can make this world at least a little bit better, so when I realized I had a chance to be a volunteer, to go to Morocco and to teach English to poor African children, I found myself applying for this program.
I found totally relaxed people in Morocco, that ended up for me as having only one week of volunteer work and travelling around the country the rest of the time. I felt quiet helpless as I didn't speak a word of French at the time. Most people in Morocco can speak either Arabic or French, but not English. My stay was very contrast because I stayed in a 5 star hotel in a resort city Agadir, I shared a tent with 5 other volunteers during the project time, slept next to the railway station in Marrakesh, was hosted by a half Moroccan half American family in Azrou while having nowhere to go and of course enjoyed my sleep in the desert on a dune under a sky filled with thousands of stars. I experienced the entire month of the Ramadan, although I was fasting only one day. Living together with people who are practicing Ramadan influences you a lot. Every day I was waiting for iftar(around 8p.m.) –after sunset, you hear the prayer announcing it and finally you are allowed to eat and drink. Iftar mostly involves tea, dates, cheese, harira (very special Moroccan soup) and bread – it is not intended for the upper class. I saw king’s palace and leather coloring fabrics in Fes,ugly capital Rabat, beautiful mosque in Casablanca with the highest minaret in the world, enormous red Marrakesh, the wind city Essaouira, picturesque Chefchaouen having all the streets and houses colored in blue and white.
I was cheated by the locals. They can be very creative when they want to get money from you! One day I hitch-hiked when I was coming back from Asilah to Tangier with some Dutch guys. Obviously I enjoyed swimming in the Atlantic Ocean. I was watching the coast of Spain and Gibraltar staying on the beach of Tangier!
Morocco is an amazing country, a country of contrast; you find there gorgeous buildings standing just next to the slums, people begging for bread just right next to the people driving the s-class Mercedes.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About internship


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.