Existing Member?

Everything is inspiring

A night on the gas station

LATVIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [86] | Scholarship Entry

The day was coming to its end, and the bright circle of sun already touched the line of the sea. We – a little company of two boys and a girl - continued to drive north - to music festival in Latvia, which was 2,000 km away from our hometown. Leaving from Ukraine, we drove through Slovakia, spent the night in the capital of Poland, and the next day went further north.
Bohdan, who was driving, was nervous: the farther we were driving north, the more darkness was going down. So when we saw a gas station, we realized that it will become a place of our accommodation, we like it or not.
Unhappy of such sudden end of the day, we almost quarreled with each other. Therefore, the best solution was to make a tea. We noticed big trucks, which have stopped here for the night, and decided to went and look for Ukrainian ones. And we’ve found! We knocked on the door van and saw a typical Ukrainian, “uncle-drivers”.
-Good evening, do you have a hot water for tea?
They looked at us: two skinny boys and a girl with a pan of water. For a few seconds strict drivers lost their language, but then their faces stretched in a smile: it was so unexpectedly to meet three fellows in the gas station parking somewhere within Latvia. We politely refused food and money proposal from drivers and like performing a secret ritual bypassed around gas station with a pot of hot tea to sit on the bench.
After a brief conversation over tea, a car arrived to the parking slot. A girl came out of car, threw box full of pizza to the trash, sat back and drove away.
-This is a very bad idea to let spoil the whole box of pizza, even if it was put in the trash.
With debates about whether to eat it or not, we haven’t noticed a strange silhouette coming around us.
-Hi guys, how are you? –A strong man with a bottle, which smelled strongly of alcohol, asked us.
We turned out that he calls Yures and he works as a taxi driver in Riga. He told about everything: broken relationships, grandmother's house takeover in communist-era, and types of tourists he cares. By talking, we didn’t notice the whole hour had passed, and when the Yures was caught by a colleague, we gave a pleasant goodbye.
There was really dark and cold night so we decided go to sleep - in the tent, right on the grass near the parking lot. Ahead we’ll have amazing days at music festival, hitchhiking to Riga, casual lodging with a friend in Vilnius and many cool things. Fortunately, we haven’t tried pizza from the trash. Maybe next time :)

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About inspired


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Latvia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.