Existing Member?

Insider

Capão Valley

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [254] | Scholarship Entry

There’s a place in Brazil, called Bahia. Ok, you probably know that. It is known for its beaches, guaranteed hot weather or your money back. But far from salt water, there are the red and yellow rivers of the Chapada da Diamantina. Over there, there is a place called Capão Valley. A village with one main street and one thousand inhabitants.
It's hard to describe the feeling. Most of the travel involves a lot of fun, laughter, photos, tours and meeting people. That's what people expect and what they get. I had a different trip, an internal one. First, it must be said that Capão is a place that values traditions. Who is an outsider, it is treated almost as an invader and the native and its rules are quite respected. No noise after 22pm. If you came to Capão, you want to rest. I cried on the first day of trip after complainings about a ""loud" party that I and some friends organized. It involved a handed-made birthday cake and an acordeion. No one wants to know what you are doing in your corner, but do not come to the center of the Square.
In fact I have a critical attitude about the idea of happiness proclaimed for our society, which establishes itself in the annual holiday with friends. For many days, at Capão, I had moments of extreme anguish. On the one hand, I could not connect with the carnival tourists of the season. On the other, because I realized that over there could be my place.
We drink the water straight from the river, in Capão. Everybody knows everybody. We try real psychedelic "drugs", not the crap they sell in the city. There, many call it "medicine." In Capão, we buy natural products in the single market and organic food at the Sunday fair. In Capão, everyone has a dream catcher, incense, and eat jackfruit pastel. The legend states that no one goes hungry. There’s a mango tree every corner. In Capão, we walk 6, 8, 10 km to reach the most beautiful waterfalls and fountains in the world. There are soil of every color: red, yellow, purple, pink… and of all colors in the stones. In Capão, you walk the trails and find crystals. In Capão, we sleep watching the stars. We we fight and forget soon after, because it is embarassing have an argument in such a beautiful place with such strong energies.It is a connection with nature that only those who walk, touch, smell and hear the earth understands that it is not a new connection being made, but an ancient being resumed. Capão is the Portuguese word that people say it has no translation: saudade.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About insidetrip


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.