Existing Member?

Journey of a body and mind

Home is a place you carry at heart

GERMANY | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [147] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I ever felt at home was when my plane landed in a country I have never been to before. After 14 feverish sleepless hours on a train and a 4 hour flight I have finally arrived in München, Germany, where I was supposed to hop on a tram to the Central railway station and board a train to Mannheim, my final destination point. Forgetting about fever and heaviness of my luggage, I looked around with my eyes wide open, soaking in new scenery, familiar language and friendly strangers. I got to my Mannheim long after midnight, obviously late for my appointment at the students office, excited, exhausted and scared. The unbelievably nice people helped me find my new residence, and at last, I was able to black out in bed.
Each following day was a gift from the universe, or any gods I don`t believe in. The sun was brighter here, the skies - bigger, the people - smart, beautiful and exciting. I wandered the new familiar streets feeling content with myself and everything around me. I fell in love with the city in just a couple of days. We got the chance to travel to lots of neighboring cities of Baden-Württemberg - to look down at the world from the Main Tower in Frankfurt, to visit the majestic Opera in Stuttgart, to travel back in time from an ancient cathedral in Speyer and a castle in Heidelberg. Some places were mesmerizing enough to come back to more than just once. My friends often said that I take too many pictures, but they didn`t know that I might not believe I have actually been here later, and the pictures were proof. It felt amazing to wake up every day in anticipation of more great things to come, hugged by the comforting realization that I have made it, I`m here, and it is incredible. I could never stay in one place for too long - I wanted to walk down new streets, meet new people, eat at new restaurants and enjoy new sunsets. Having a train ticket to the next city felt like having a key to wonderland. There was never enough movement, never enough changing scenery, talking, laughing, sharing your happiness with those who understood it, taking mental photographs of the moment. The only time I have ever been sad there is when I realized I`d soon have to leave and come back to everything terrible I`ve left behind. I cried on a train from Mannheim to München; I didn`t get any sleep on the plane. I kept thinking how it cannot end, for I have just found my home - it was the road, the inspiration and everything good that had made my hear whole.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About inkroads


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.