Existing Member?

Interaction with locals

The Paired Garnet

SOUTH KOREA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

Traveler and interaction to the locals are two things that can’t be separated wherever I go. The interaction is needed from the simplest part of knowing the right path to the so called most favorite places to the important part such as asking for help to get an emergency help in an accident.
Gunsan, a city in North Jeolla Province, South Korea is best known for their historical culture. Gunsan was magically unscathed in the Korean War of 1950. There for there are a lot of historical site such as Japanese traditional house, Japanese traditional temple, and more a modern history museum at the bay area.
Walking in Gunsan was supposed to be fun and interesting but losing a wallet has been be the turnaround event. The moment of realizing the wallet has gone was the worst part. The brain was asked to work harder to memorize every details since the beginning of the day. The hardest part was keeping away those probability which including some negative thinking. Was the wallet fallen or stolen? If it was fallen where could it be? If it were stolen, when could it be?
The assumption of the wallet had been stolen has become worst but then meeting a kind-looking old man makes the hope rises again. The last thing that could be done was asking him to help.
He looked like he was at his 60s, his right hand was firmly holding the walking stick while the other hand was a little bit shaky when taking cigarette. By the combination of his sporty shoes, climbing pants, anti-wind T-shirt, and the large sized cap, his persona as a hiker can be felt by seeing him from a hundred meters.
What’s more important about this old man is his next action. While communication in his mother language was hard for some foreigner, he would still give some effort to understand the problem when he’s asked to help solving this lose wallet problem. He did not see any blue wallet left in the observatory area this afternoon, yet he still insist to help. For the next few moment he was busy talking in Korean by phone to someone.
After waiting for ten minutes comes a police car. A policeman with a blue wallet comes and give that wallet. That is when I found the second garnet. I was asked to call a number. I can only heard a gentle comfortingly saying “it’s okay. It’s okay. Now you can relax. You must have been really worried. Please take care of yourself more carefully“
Bright red garnet implies the courage to be honest and caring. These two man are the pair of garnet that becoming rare.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About indrakp


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.