Existing Member?

My country

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 11 April 2012 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry


Hallo guys. My name is Syahroni Harahap. And my nick name is Sasha, because everybody calls me Sasha. I live in Indonesia especially in Kepulauan Riau, Batam. Batam is one of city in Indonesia that has Malay culture. But Batam has been assigned from all cities in Indonesia (From Sabang to Merauke).
Even if Batam is multi-ethnic it is still the Malayan culture and Islam which forms the root of the local culture. Both daily life and the ceremonies have religious and mythical elements, expressed in dance, music and other forms of art. Some of the most popular traditional dances are Jogi Dance, unique for Batam, Zapin Dance, which reflects strong Arabic influence, Persembahan Dance, to welcome honored guests and Ronggeng Dance, where the guests can be invited to come up and join the dance and song.
And now, how can we know what is Batam? I can tell you that Batam has many foods that you can feel how deferent Batam with other cities in Indonesia. One of the things that Batam Island is most famous for is its seafood. Cheap and plentiful, you can find seafood at every corner - sold at stalls, by street vendors and in restaurants - offering variety and value for money. Fresh and free from preservatives, this island has been considered by some as the ultimate seafood haven.
The most popular seafood offerings here include chili crabs, king prawns and the unique gong-gong sea snails, which can only be found in the waters of Batam and the neighboring Bintan. Best eaten steamed to succulent perfection, the meat is fished out from the shell using a toothpick and dipped in ‘sambal’ (locally-made chili sauce) first before eating. It’s hard to recommend just a few good places for seafood because there are so many available and they’re all just as good – but you can be sure that wherever you go, you will find nothing but delicious, fresh seafood at extremely agreeable prices.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About indonesiaismycountry


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.