Existing Member?

Ora (Life!)

Hangi

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 7 September 2015 | Views [276] | Scholarship Entry

Kia ora, I am a Maori film maker from Aotearoa (New Zealand) Although I have made a feature film (The Pa Boys released 2014) my true passion is making low-budget films about people, culture and land. I love to just turn up and start shooting, creating the story as it unfolds in front of me. The landscape and environment plays a huge role in visual narrative. I am also fascinated with the fact that our people (Polynesian) reached South America centuries before Columbus. Our navigation and sailing skills were unmatched. I wonder if there are cultural similarities between our people because of this ancient contact. Being in Columbia could open doors to exploring this subject.
I am a humble person with camera in hand and know how to approach people and place with the respect that is deserved.
Note on video 'Hangi'. A hangi is a traditional (Maori) way of cooking food. An uncle had passed away and many (hundreds) of family and friends were gathering to pay their respects. The hangi is the most practical way of cooking for such big crowds. They are delicious too. Feeding his guests is our last act of respect to a man we knew all our lives...

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About indiginz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.