Existing Member?

InayahV

Spontaneously Delicious

IRELAND | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

Biting into the soft thin dough, sweet lemon essence fills my mouth. Rich buttery filling melts over every taste bud. Pausing momentarily to savor every bit of this morsel, heat rises from the center of the heavenly pastry. As I inhale the aroma, further intensifying the experience. I take a sip of coffee before allowing myself another delicious bite. I want to devour the entire thing, than have about three more, but I force myself to delay further gratification.
Looking out the window of the small nook, the sky is mildly overcast and a light rain softly falls against the glass. I see a woman in a red coat quickly walk by and can’t help but feel lucky to have made it in the door instead of passing the shop the way she was doing. It’s early on a weekday morning, I’m in a small town in the west of Ireland, and I’ve just found the perfect crepe.
A few other customers have wandered in and will soon be sharing my delight with their own made to order confections. I’m not rushed about slowly enjoying my delicious discovery. The simple lemon butter and sugar filled crepe tastes like nothing I’ve ever had before, it’s absolutely divine. The tiny shop has other varieties listed on the wall mounted chalk board menu, divided by sweet and savory options. It’s tempting to try them all, but I have neither the luxury of time or metabolism for such a decadent feat.
Indulging in the satisfaction of finding such a wonderful place I finish the last of my unexpected treat and accompanying beverage. I smile to myself, the irony of finding this superior delicacy so easily; when I’d expended so much effort in tracking down a deep fried candy bar a few days before. Here, the delicate rainy atmosphere, the chic café, and incredible food exemplify the reward of a spontaneous itinerary.
Though I had not come here by accident; a different mission drew me to Athenry, a town about a half an hour east of Galway City on the M6 Motorway. I came in search of a cemetery, looking for a grave belonging to an ancestor who had made this their home town over a century ago. With finding this grave came indelible proof that even though I had just discovered this beautiful region, it seems my family found it long ago.
Athenry hasn’t the reputation of larger cities, famous landmarks, or striking geographical features that lure travelers from all corners of the world. Small and understated it has great significance for my family history and also, the perfect crepe.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About inayahv


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.