Existing Member?

My life-changing opportunity

The first time I tried Rome - my recipe

ITALY | Tuesday, 6 May 2014 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

0) Antipasto: What to do before visiting Rome?
To-watch-list: "Innamorato pazzo" – The ultimate must-see; "Scam city", National Geographic may be useful, although it’s a bit exaggerated.
To-buy-list: raincoat and T-shirt
1) Primo: How I enjoyed my first day in Rome?
I highly recommend visiting the New Rome Free Tour, the perfect start for your holiday.
http://www.newromefreetour.com/rome-free-walking-tour
2) Secondo: Charming city
DOs: Tram-gladiators: Fight for your spot, and every now and then – for your life. Travelling by bus, tram and metro (A, B) is one of the greatest challenges for tourists. However, public transport is fast and the second best way for getting around the city.
DON’Ts: RomaPASS – think twice before buying it. It really depends on what kind of sights you are interested in. If you’d like to dedicate most of your time to piazzas, gelato, fountains and miracle churches (1) rather than museums, than it’s a DON’T for sure.
Maybe you expect that my travel notes would also mention the most important sights of Rome. However, I think giving a list of them is:
1. not possible – I asked Italians if 5 days in Rome were enough to see everything. They said 20 years weren’t.
2. a really bad favour – while I was making plans, I read a lot. Just watch documentaries, follow the Pope on twitter, read the official websites. Prepare beforehand because when you see it all live, you definitely shouldn't miss it.
3) Dolce: Apart from gelato, tiramisù and cornetto (2) Rome can be sweet in many more different, unexpected ways.
For example the sweet little cars and Vespas that everyone drives:
Sweet is the way Italians enjoy clothes and style. Bright colours, well-dressed women and men, haute couture everywhere. Italian is just sweet. Even when in the middle of a traffic jam a cab driver expresses his feelings about the clumsy driver in front - it still sounds like melody.
And do not underestimate the small vias, corners and piazzas, isolated from tourists. They tell you more about Rome than the Colosseum itself.
* Contorno:
A must-see: the Pope. I'm not kidding.
A must-do: visit Trastevere. And do not think about diets.
A must-eat: gelato at Fontana di Trevi, pizza at Piazza della Rotonda (near the Pantheon), pasta (almost anywhere in Trastevere)
(1) All of the above mentioned are for free, except for gelato, but it’s really worth it…
(2) very important: cornetto ? croissant. Cornetto is Italian, croissant is French. Again: very important!
Buon Appetito!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About inapetrova


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.