Existing Member?

Of Crossing the Unknown

A Jar Full of Self Discovery

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [195] | Scholarship Entry

As I lugged my baggage around the Charles De Gaulle Airport, I could not believe I was bound for home in 3 hours. Four months ago, I was very anxious about leaving the Philippines. Back then, I was this awkward nerd who envisioned life as climbing the corporate ladder. Little did I know, my Erasmus semester in Lille would help me realize a different perspective of life – that travel will help me discover things work can’t help me discover. Sure I would travel with my folks at least once a year, but there was something about leaving home that ignited my senses to make the most of my stay in Europe, to make everything worthwhile and unforgettable.

I started to tear up while waiting for my turn at the check-in counter. Other passengers probably thought I was going nuts because I laughed and smiled as well. I had mixed feelings on boarding the plane. I recalled memorable mishaps of my trip: missed connecting train rides, wore the wrong garment and thinking I could stick the cold out, had swollen feet thinking I could walk the whole city out. These were things I would not have discovered have I stayed in my comfort zone. I also could not stop thanking those strangers who I have met along the way: Pepo from Barcelona, Linda from Switzerland, Marco from Florence, Louisa from Lille, Margaux from Utrecht, etc.

I also got my apprehension to thank for. It taught me how to trust myself whilst embarking the unknown. By dropping every fear and taking every chance, I discovered the potential that was not invisible before. From zero knowledge of house hold chores until blooming into a domesticated individual who was adept at cooking, cleaning and paying rent, I sure was not so helpless after all. I focused more on the positive situations rather than sulking in loneliness and homesickness. I learned to appreciate different people despite cultural diversity. It was only then did I realize that leaving home for a while was one of the better decisions I made. I learned how to grow up. By the outcome of me sobbing in the airport until I boarded, I could honestly tell you that Europe is by far my greatest life experience (to date). ‘Til we meet again Europa!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About inabina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.