Existing Member?

Insight in Incense

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 3 March 2012 | Views [5562] | Comments [3] | Scholarship Entry

Snake Blood


A medium-sized turtle is suspended upside down, its neck gravity-stretched to visually unnatural limits. Pitying its exposed head in a slow, slug-like writhe, I fight the urge to take it down myself. Tonight it will have its meat cooked into soup and its organs harvested for bile.

It’s medicinal, the Taiwanese stand owner yells after me as I curtly leave, good for the heart!

This evening is full of pedestrian bustle at the Huaxi Street Night Market. The air is heavy with the steam of xiaochi (literally "small eats") and commingled scents of staples such as oyster omelet and stinky tofu.

The North side of the market is a clean, copacetic indoor strip of small eateries. But here, the South end is different. It is made of color and chaos. A former red-light district, the street is now colloquially known, for its exotic concoctions, as “Snake Alley.” 


Here is a small stage between a sex shop and a seafood stand. There are at least a dozen skinny snakes in a row, hung by their necks, their three-foot-long, brown, bodies expertly slit, being bled into buckets below. Supposedly unconscious, their dark bodies still convulse.

There's a narrator for this nightmare, fluorescently lit. There is a man with a microphone gesticulating wildly towards the scene. He speaks in fast-paced Mandarin to the crowd with an enthusiastic carnival pitch. There are various-sized bottles of all colors of animal fluids at his feet, most copiously strawberry-red snake blood.

In Snake Alley there is no ailment the vendors won’t claim they can't cure--arthritis, heart disease, poor memory, weak bones, impotence. There is no shortage of silent animal suffering and also nothing illegal about it.

The market is considered by locals to be a culture center, a must-visit for foreigners with an appetite for extremes.

I pass a pig in a cage too small to turn. I swallow only the sadness of my American sensibilities.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Swallow your American insensibilities! How dare you criticize foreign culture so casually and cooly as you turn your ignorant blind eye to what's happening to the livestock and poultry in your dear homeland, oh so sensible of animal rights! How about the chicken farms that cram the poultry in the dark, pumping them full of antibiotics and slicing off their beaks so they cannot hurt each other because they are so tightly packed in their cages. That's mighty humane, wouldn't you agree? Please! Spare me the melancholy toward the plight of the snakes in Taiwan. Look at what's on your plate and in your fast food chains. Open your eyes! Stop being the brain-washed sheep with the American Dream.

  Sara Adams May 28, 2012 1:18 PM

2

The living conditions at aforementioned food market were just as terrible, but thanks for expressing your random outrage about an issue I didn't write about.

  imperfectrhyme May 28, 2012 3:33 PM

3

I feel as though the final sentence sums up what we are taught in the western and American world. This sort of thing isn't laid out upon a platter for us to see, rather hidden away, and then we are taught that it is wrong or cruel or different or what have you. When we see it on holiday or when we are away in broad daylight that may shock some people and manifest an emotional reactions, regardless of that reaction, I think this piece is beautifully depicting a thought process, a stream of consciousness. It's hardly an exhaustive examination if animal right here, there or elsewhere and does not seek to do so.

  Laura Feb 13, 2013 11:00 PM

About imperfectrhyme


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.