Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

Workouts and Spas.

USA | Thursday, 28 June 2012 | Views [316]

As I mentioned in my previous posting, I have been making some lifestyle changes lately. I am looking to better manage my finances, simplify my life and in general, be healthy. This has come about due to a series of unrelated incidents that got the wheels turning and my thoughts/motivation to where they are today.

One of the first changes I am making is to get back into shape. I have always had a positive self-image of my body, which is why I think I have gained the freshman 15 several times over and have been just fine with it. (Admittedly, I also placed other priorities above working out in recent years.) My motivation for this has been a slow culmination of experiences: my body not moving the way I remember, a little more of me in the way when I put my shoes on, a few too many “bad angle” pictures to be a coincidence and finally a major campaign at work to “start slow but start” exercising.

I made my decision to get in shape just as my gym membership that I never used was expiring. I didn’t want to renew it because it is costly, difficult to get there with my work schedule and the staff is too intense/overbearing for my liking. I have a bike and even two legs for walking but no inclination to do those on a daily basis after dusk/dark by myself. (Since I have been living by myself, I have become a big wimp when it comes to strolling about by myself at night.) I was back to square one with a plan. I used my good friend, Google, to help me find workouts online for beginners but they all were so technical and unappealing. Low and behold, I was mingling around the store down the road and I stumble upon various workout DVDs on sale for 5$/each. I figured that 5$ was an investment I would be willing to risk on potentially bad workouts. I snatched up 3 of them – Cardio Party, Pilates & Yoga.

They could not have been a better match for me if I tried! They fit in my schedule, I can go at my own pace and I can even increase the intensity easily as I grow into them. My biggest problem now is keeping from collapsing as the kitties weave themselves around me, tickling me with their tails and whiskers during my workout. I am also using an app on my phone as a food journal / workout tracker. It took me a little while to understand portion sizes and the amount of calories in all kinds of food but I have adjusted and am pacing to lose about 2lbs/week, even though my goal is a slow and steady 1lb/week.

After my workouts, I get to relax at Spa My Bathroom. I know it doesn’t sound appealing, but I discovered a number of awesome homemade recipes for face wash, face scrub, body scrub, etc. The best part is, all of the ingredients are already in my kitchen and a jar o’scrub that normally retails 50$-100$, costs me only a fraction of that. I don’t think I will ever buy face wash or body wash again. My skin has never been cleaner, looked clearer nor felt softer. Score one for the home team!

Until next time!

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.