Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

Whirlwind of change.

USA | Monday, 11 June 2012 | Views [368]

Hello hello, again! As promised, I am back again far before the 3 month mark. I am writing with exciting news in hand as the efforts of the last several weeks have finally culminated today.

 

Prior to having finished my marketing positioin, I had an Associate Director of Finance approach me, inquiring if I wanted to do a special assignment with her. Within a week after the end of my marketing position, I had another Associate Director of Finance approach me, asking me to join her team, as well. The first time I divulged having two offers to one of the ADs was a rather awkward moment because I had assumed they both knew of each other´s plans as they worked closely together when in fact, neither knew of ther other´s offer. It ended up working out for the best because they collaborated and offered me a dual position: for the first half of my interim position I will be working on specialized Business channel offers and the last 1.5 months I will be working with the other AD on a special reporting assignment focusing on the region I currently work in.

 

With this position, I will be a Midwest Area employee with a massive amount of exposure to all kinds of career-advancing big wigs. One of the ADs mentioned to me today that she discussed me in the MWA´s Finance AD Staff Meeting and other ADs were asking if I could fill in on their team when they needed me. To me, she jokingly made mention that they might be able to make a permanent position for me out of rotational assignments if I can perform well enough. Hey, at this point, I will take WHATEVER they want to offer me to help me gain more expereince and to stay out of retail. In all seriousness, I would prefer a permanent position and they made mention that “the company always finds room for those they want” but in the meantime, I am ready, willing and able to be flexible to get myself to the next landing zone.

 

I am expected to work 40-45hrs/week, free weeknds, paid holidays and minimal travel. I am slated to transition within the next two weeks if all goes as planned. They asked if I would be willing to relocate to NY/NJ area within the next year as that is where the company HQ is located. I told them that I am open to the idea, for obvious reasons, but cannot commit to it at this point in time. I will need to see what the future brings. In return, I will begin a specialized degree program in finance to help myself gain a formal background in the field, paid for by the company.

 

Speaking of classes, I am going to start a Master Certificate of Executive Leadership through Notre Dame and also a Certificate in Finance through Villanova July 1st. The Master Certificate is a 3 course program surrounding leadership skills, etc. The Finance certificate is a 1 course program to dive into the essentials needed for an understanding in Finance. All of the classes are 8 weeks long with the only deadline for work being the last day. AKA, super flexible online classes. I am looking forward to the education.

 

I am highly appreciative of my current boss. He has bent over backwards to help me secure these positions at HQ. My coming and going has thrown all sorts of wrenches into his management staffing needs. He is committed to seeing his staff succeed and does absolutely anything within his power to see that come to fruition. When I called him today with news that I accepted the offer, he replied with the following “Congrats, (last name). In my entire career I have never known anyone to receive so many offers. Keep up the hard work and don´t come back.” It was his endearing way of stating he was proud of me and wants to see me succeed so I will not need to ever come back to retail. I would like to see that, too.

 

Until next time!

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.