Existing Member?

Welp, yay!

Old rural Bulgaria

BULGARIA | Tuesday, 15 July 2008 | Views [762] | Comments [1]

I am being sneaky because this is the same trip as the last entry, but I figured you’d get bored and give up reading without a break. Continuing south through the Devil’s Gorge, which is spectacularly sheer in some places, so much so that you can feel the weight of the rock in the walls around you, the road turned into a rough, bumpy dirt road great for horse carts. The walls of the valley turned to gentle slopes with small hay fields. And, men were out cutting hay and loading it into carts drawn by horses and donkeys. Oh I forgot, earlier that day we’d seen a car on the highway being towed by five horses. But seeing this valley was just fantastic. We saw mostly older people, dressed in traditional clothes, with the women wearing a shawl over their heads, ankle-length skirts, and baggy blouses. It was just really awesome to see an older rural culture, though I don’t know why.

On the way back home, we stopped at what was translated as “The Wonderful Bridges”. They were indeed wonderful. Big rock archways with streams flowing through. The detour definitely caused us to almost run out of gas for our crappy little mustard green rental car, and we think we ran over a something something rock viper, but we made it into town alright. Where we got lost for 2 hours and drove through the pedestrian walkway but ahhh well, it was a fantastic day.

Comments

1

Glad you did not run out of gas and get ssssssssstruck by the viper. I'll bet it is nice to see some real culture over there.

Have fun!

  Neil Jul 30, 2008 11:52 AM

About imalivewhen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.