Existing Member?

Welp, yay!

Istanbul to Plovdiv

BULGARIA | Sunday, 13 July 2008 | Views [1984] | Comments [7]

Yo! Took the un-airconditioned bus from Istanbul to Plovdiv, which consisted of driving through at least a hundred kilometers of dry rolling hills with fields of straw and east facing sunflowers. Reminded me a bit of eastern Washington, except for the sunflowers. We were served tea and pastries on the bus, granted, they were vending machine quality, but still. At the border to Bulgaria, a thick, imposing pink granite archway with the Turkish moon and star emblem was followed by a blue cloth banner saying Welcome to Bulgaria. I had the only blue passport on the bus, everyone else seemed to be Bulgarian. I’m getting a sense of how lucky it is that I speak English, because it’s certainly the other language most people learn. That’s something that you know already, but I’m just appreciating it a lot.


Much of what we passed through on the way to Plovdiv, other than a continuation of the landscape we saw in Turkey, were old concrete buildings with windows smashed out looking out over large towns. The smaller places we passed through seemed great- red, wiggly brick roofing (I don’t know what it’s called…think of the red roofs in pictures of Greece or Italy) on small wooden houses. Everyone living in those places has a vegetable and flower garden, as far as I can tell.


I figured out how to read “Plovdiv” in Bulgarian cyrillic, which I am still quite incapable of reading in general, but was quite lost after getting off the bus. Well, the few minutes of being lost were long, since I had to go to the bathroom so badly. But, a kindly Bulgarian woman came up to me, led me to a bathroom, led me to the local bus stop, told me how much it cost and which bus to take, and not to fear, she was “a teacher, not a gypsy!” Her daughter goes to college in Miami- I find that the people most helpful to foreigners are those who have children abroad.

Comments

1

I'm glad you made it to the bathroom. That could have been embarrassing. I can just imagine what your face looks like all the time when people feel the need to rescue you. Probably like that "nervous" portrait you did in about 4th grade. Take some pictures ( I didn't mean of you with your nervous face, but that would be amusing). Have fun. BE CAREFUL!
Love, Mom

  mom Jul 15, 2008 1:05 PM

2

I'm glad you were able to find some help. That can be scary when you don't know where you are. I'm sure there were some interesting smells on that HOT bus ride. Take care.

  Neil Jul 15, 2008 1:51 PM

3

wow, I love that the kind women helped you out. I should be more on the lookout over in our area for lost foreigners to help out.

  Kim Jul 16, 2008 1:25 AM

4

who is "we"? Sounds fun, glad to see the senior citizens are treating you better than they are me at the rec center. Be safe. Love you! remember, sometimes it is good to look lost (like in front of kindly old women), but sometimes its no so good.

  haley Jul 16, 2008 12:41 PM

5

But what about the rocks?- and food?

  Charlotte Jul 17, 2008 1:52 AM

6

can you tell me how long the ride was from Istanbul to Plovdiv? Can you also take a train there? Is it worth the trip ? Just curious to know if its worth an excursion from Istanbul.....any suggestions?

  Charles Leyes Dec 17, 2010 6:44 PM

7

can you tell me how long the ride was from Istanbul to Plovdiv? Can you also take a train there? Is it worth the trip ? Just curious to know if its worth an excursion from Istanbul.....any suggestions?

  Charles Leyes Dec 17, 2010 6:46 PM

About imalivewhen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.