Existing Member?

the right different choice

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 29 February 2012 | Views [166] | Scholarship Entry

Milan,may 2002,a very hot summer is beginning,i'd feel like having some fun abroad but my bank account is against that!!Sitting at the local bar with some friends we talk about how good it would be having a traveling life,how good it would be experience every day something different instead of our boring rountine and how good could be to meet new people from differents cultures...''can i have another beer??''so i can forget the fact that it will never happen and start believing that it may will!! A person that lives close by my house step into the place...is being a long time since i've seen him the last time,smiling and tanned face,seems to be happy about what he's doing!''how are you mate??where have you being??''...''Greece my friend!!is being now a few years that i work there,and this year i'll open up a bar right on the beach...isnt that a dream??i'm so glad i made it and today the next beer is on me!!''.
Believe it or not that day my life was going to change,a strong tingling start traveled my body...i felt like say something that could impress...i new i had just one shot''i'm a professional bartender,my english is not so good but i learn quickly and i'm also a very hard worker,please give me a chance!!''....''hahahaha i will think about that,promise!!''.I new he never was going to!But sometime life is strange and full of surprises and two weeks later my phone was ringing....''hey,there is a friend of mine in the island that needs a bartender,do you still interested??''. From that sentence untill today many things are changed in my life,i hardly even remember how the local bar is,i left for good 2 weeks later... greece,spain,england,holland,scandinavia...day by day my self confidence was getting higher and my english better,so my spanish,my french,my portuguese...i never came back to that local bar,i will at some point but not now,i've got several places to see first and lots of challenges came up since then...save my seat because next round will be on me...

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ilsorre


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.