Existing Member?

Notes from the road

Milos island Greece

GREECE | Tuesday, 2 July 2013 | Views [2224]

We are leaving Milos after 6 days 7 nights. There is a longing pain to go back already! I'm sipping an expensive beer ön the ferry while we are passing Kleptikos rock formations and I feel like crying. It was such a beautiful island. On our third day we took a boat trip around the island. We tried renting out kayaks to no avail so we decided on the sailing boat. It was pricey and it felt frivolous but we decided it was the time to use my gift from my guys. I took them in spirit with us and wished they saw this wonderland!

The highlights were the cave at Sikia, the volcanic channel in the cave was created by a tunnel that caved in leaving a little island with a beach in the middle with the sun rays hitting the island. Due to the volcanic activity the rock colors vary from powder white, to red, yellow, gray and green besides the usual brown and black colors.

Kenny swam out from the boat to the island, it was pretty wild, I felt a trepidation and I took the little dinky out but on the way back I swam back with him. It was wild!! I swam with gogles and the underwater was like an underwater beach with white sand. It was stunning! Then we went to Kleptikos a white cliff region full of caves and turquoise waters. It was so beautiful my brain couldn't process it. We were standing in awe. We swam out again on land to a herd of wild goats. They were so curious about us, they kept coming back to check us out. We hang ouf there for a couple of hours and decided to make it back next day.

However we there is no fresh water on the island (all the drinking water gets shipped in in plastic bottles, there is no recycling and IT DRIVES ME CRAZY)  and the hike was around 10 miles one way plus to stay there for a day we would need at least 10-12 liters of water especially with the excruciating heat. So we had to reconsider it and went to the northern part of the island on our bikes. We ended up in a a very cute fishing village, Mandrakas. We left the bikes and bags by a seafood taverna and set off to discover the beaches.

It left us in awe once again, the white rock formations washed out by the sea with the turquoise colors were a constant surprise at every step, we couldn't get enough if it and kept scrambling along. We were totally alone, what an amazing feeling! On our way back we picked the tent site on the top of a fishing shed used by the local fisherman overlooking the cliffs and went back for the bags to set up the tent so we can enjoy our dinner right above the small sea cliffs. We had delicious fresh fish and calamari, Kenny treated himself to  Triple Ale beer, what a treat. It was an amazing night! The sunset setting on this amazjng scenery, eating the delicious food and sipping wine was unearthly. There was a Greek wedding that we went to see and it brought back the wonderful feelings from 14 years ago. Ahh, life is so good to us!


Next day we kept discovering more white cliffs and caves as well as brown rock formations with caves. We spent most of the day by a beautiful turquoise bay where we ended up camping for the night all alone. We had the whole beach for ourselves pretty much the whole time. We swam, played in the water did yoga and ate breakfast. It felt unreal again! So free, so happy!


In the last moment we decided to stay and rent the expensive jeep of 45 euros and go back to Kleptikos playground to have all those beaches and caves for ourselves but no jeeps were available was available except for 65 euros. We couldn't justify the high price, if we deduct 30 for lodging we can swing 15 but not 35 plus gas. More reason to go back to Milos! Which we rarely feel!

So we rushed to the ferry, once again we made it. It really feels like I will run out of luck one day with all these last minute rushings to plans, ferries, trains....

We are off to Sifnos it's our last island in the cyclades, I thouht we are ready to leave for the main land but it's hard to leave. I know Penopolese will be beautiful but theses Greek islands have a charm they get a grip of you very tightly.

Before our 2 day secluded adventures I was getting excited about a website freeshowers.org a networking site created for cyclists for free lodging given by fellow cyclists. One guy in Greece is offering a room on his sailboat something we have been wanting to do for over 13 years. There are other cyclist  all over Greece, Italy, the world but the Sardegna and Corsica ones stand out. Im so excited to meet fellow cycling people, one girl did Madagascar by bike. Yay!! So all is well, my mood is returning and we are almost in Sifnos, more on the next ferry ride. When? Not sure! We always over stay...:)

About ildikok


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.