Existing Member?

Notes from the road

Back to civilization!

HUNGARY | Thursday, 23 May 2013 | Views [363]

After spending a couple of days in Kathmandu we were ready to move on. We ended up in a monestery in the foothills of the mountains, Namabuddha in Diliken. It was a nice experience staying in the monastery eating with the monks and experiencing ther puja, chanting. 

aftewords we headed to Bhaktapur a medieval city for sightseeing, it' a royal city full of temples and a palace from that period. It was a few steps well above Kathmandu! Fairly clean, well as clean as it can get. The water has to be shipped in, people line up the streets at the water truck on this morning (Saturday) and wait to get a couple of buckets of water. The deep wells that are spread around the city all seem dirty. How can you cook, eat and use hygene? I guess I should not expect them to have the courtyards, and streets cleaned when they don't have basic hygene. The cows, chickens, dogs on the streets don't help for sure!

We are back to civilization! We spent the day in Vienna as the tickets were much cheaper then flying into Budapest and then we spent three days in Budapest with Ibi and Valerie and of course the dentist and then by the Hungarian border at my folk's home in the countryside for a week and then Timisoara and Transylvania for some hiking and my cousin's graduation. We are still disappointed about not being able to complete it but we took away a lot of great memories and insights nonetheless!! 

It's so good to be back home!!! We had a great time biking around Budapest with the whole family then Ibi lent us their bikes and rode to the dentist and afterwords we rewarded ourselves to some great food! The typical íHungarian sausage, langos and retes. I love it!!! Ibi has been feeding us like crazy, the food is soooooo good hear. All the weight we lost will come back, looking forward to the bike trip in Greece,but  it feels hopeless that in the next couple of weeks we would not even be able to just plainly mantain our weight after the trek!

In Bekescsaba I got my retes that I have been dreaming off on the trek. The fantasy got me off the mountain, that and the thought of seeing my folks! As you know food is quite central to me :)) The lack of even horrible food, and filty conditions on the mountain prevented me from eating so I got my weight back from couple of years ago. At last that!

 

 

About ildikok


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.