Existing Member?

Writer & Traveller

Travelenture begins...

GREECE | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [192] | Scholarship Entry

If you’re reading this, then you and I are having something in common. That is travel and adventure; let’s call it - travelenture. I’ve travelled around the world and lived in many countries of different continents, but the experience that I’m about to share with you is about my first plane trip ever. I remember being 17 years old, my life felt boring and unfulfilling. I was walking down the street of rainy Latvia and met an old friend of mine. After two cups of coffee and a tiramisu, I persuaded her to fly to Greece wit me as soon as I turn 18.

My 18’s birthday couldn’t come fast enough, but eventually we were on our way to the airport. I will never forget that day; I was like a kid in a candy store. I was excited about everything. It was my first illuminator view, my first plane meal, my first airport check-in; and when I saw the stewardess explaining the safety rules, I was almost sure that we are in a Hollywood movie. The flight was about 3,5 hours and I had plenty of time to have some vine, relax and start thinking of a plan how to hijack our plane with my plastic silverware. Well, that plan didn’t come to life but plenty of adventures were yet to come.

When we arrived to Athens, the air, the vibe and the climate was so different. We stayed there for almost 2 weeks. We saw many well known sights, including Acropolis, Parthenon, Acropolis Museum, Temple of Hephaestus, Temple of Zeus and many more. That was the year of Olympic games, but we were departing few days before the opening. We made so many good friends, tried amazing food, learnt plenty of useful Greek phrases, did some unbelievable shopping and of course we partied like the rock stars. Athens had so much history that I was intrigued by since my school days. It felt like a dream. On our way back we did our last day souvenir shopping for our loved ones. At the airport I was not happy anymore, it felt like a good story ended and now we needed to get back to the reality. But one thing that I kept in mind is that this experience and an overwhelming passion for travel will stick with me forever.

This trip happened over 10 years ago and even thought I currently reside in the U.S., I am sure that my travel adventures are not over yet. And by the way, even thought I didn’t succeed at hijacking the plane, my trip to Greece with no doubt was one of my most memorable travel experiences of my life. And I’ll never forget that rainy day in Latvia that launched my inner desire for travelenures…

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ilanamack


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.