Existing Member?

Rediscovering life

A transformational trip to Mexico and the Mayans

MEXICO | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [122] | Scholarship Entry

How did I end up in a Mexican Chaman ritual? Two months before a friend of mine came to London. As he was talking to me about Teotihuacan and its ancient history or Cholula and its widest pyramid on earth I was growing into the idea of finally visiting the Mayans and their fascinating history.

I bought the Lonely Planet guide and chose my itinerary: Mexico DF, Teotihuacan, Cholula, San Cristobal, Palenque and Chichen Itza were a must. Learning so much history, hearing the quetzal song, the amazing food and the warm Mexican welcoming fuelled me much more than I could ever imagine. After 13 days I was in Merida having seen all that it was on my list and more like Valladolid Ek Balam and Uxmal.

But I couldn't stop! So I found a trail to visit ancient cenotes. It was very exciting swimming in caves created by the same thing that aniquilated something so big and powerful as the tyranosaurus rex. I thought only meeting a Mayan Chaman will top this off.

But that seemed impossible. My last afternoon I sat in Merida's main square to enjoy my last mamey ice cream when a man passed by and suggested me to wait in the square for the orchestra, 'I have to go to a Mayan ceremony but I am sure you will enjoy it'. Mayan ceremony? We started talking, he took my hand, placed his on top without touching it and I started feeling warmth in my own extremity just before he said, my grandfather is a Chaman but I practice Reiki, do you feel it? I asked if it would be possible joining him later. 'It is private but I can introduce you to someone, is not coincidence that we met, you should learn more about us'. A second later I was on my way to make one of my dreams come true.

The whole ritual looked quite simple, he was walking around me whispering intelligible things. From time to time he would share teachings from their ancestors. After he took three stones and place them on my forehead, my chest and my belly. He kept chanting and giving me meaningful insights on how we should connect with Mother Earth and allow the flow of energy to pass through us. I learned how to see life in a healthier and more positive way, how to connect with our surroundings and I finished with an incredible internal peace but there were also physical outcomes. My back pain from 2 weeks of backpacking was gone. The following morning I took the bus to the airport and since that moment I am always thinking about going back to Mexico and visit again the Chaman that changed my life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About iiiiniiii


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.