Existing Member?

Ramblings of the Reggae Nomad

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [130] | Scholarship Entry

In my other lives, I must have been a nomad because I still have an insatiable urge to travel. I was born on an island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea so my commitment to travel is always tested. As soon as I graduated university and had an income, I took every opportunity to visit dozens of places in the Americas then even went country-hopping across Europe on my “30 countries in 30 days” adventure. Then I set my sights on Asia, the next item on my bucket list.
I met her at school in India. We applied for the same international Masters Degree scholarship but we had the same motive – a paid opportunity to travel and see the world. Her name was Mavjuda. Through her eyes I experienced Tajikistan, her land of birth, her culture, family and about her.
Like me, Mavjuda is a traveller but unlike me, this was her first time travelling outside of her country. Unlike most people I had met previously, she was unafraid to 'jump in' and not satisfied to only see the world vicariously from the lips of others, from written or broadcast media. She was undeterred by the lost of opportunities under Soviet restrictions. Her limitless optimism and a free spirit captured my heart. She became my travel partner.
Kindred spirits, we toured India together bargaining in the local markets, sampling cuisine at local restaurants. Together, we explored the ancient temples, famous landmarks, local languages, cultures and its vibrant people. We visited the temple of the Dalai Lama in Dharamshala, the film capital that is Bollywood, the symmetrical tomb of Taj Mahal, the shrine at Arkshadam and the Pink City of Jaipur. We toured cities including Delhi to Mumbai to Bhopal, to Goa, Dharamshala and Manali.
This encounter with Mavjuda changed my life. With her I was reinvigorated. I saw the world through fresh, innocent eyes and in her, I have found a travel partner and lifelong companion. India changed my life because it was in India that I had the chance encounter to meet my wife, Mavjuda.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About icytazmanian


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.