Existing Member?

Haunted Thrill

Bhangarh Fort

INDIA | Sunday, 3 May 2015 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

As a journalist I was always trained to ask why. No matter how obvious the answer or solution might be, asking a question always harboured a possibility of getting something extra out of the situation. My curiosity and inquisitiveness to do stories took me across India, exposing me to various cultures, peoples and geography. It gave me a new perspective of what I considered to be my world. Over a period of time this curiosity for the new and unexplored grew bigger.

On a recent visit to New Delhi, India’s bustling capital, a friend introduced me to an eerie tale. As we sipped piping hot Assam tea in the middle of the night at his cottage, he went on about the historical ruins at Bhangarh, India’s only “officially” haunted place. Outside the entrance a signboard put up by the Archaeological Survey of India warns against entering the premises after dark. The town, once the centrepiece of Rajput rule in the Western Indian state of Rajasthan, now houses the ruins of a 17th century fort. The story goes that when the Rajputs started building the mega structure, a local saint warned them not to build any houses taller than his. The rulers neglected this and went on to create a massive fortified town. Furious, the saint cursed and cast a spell in the inhabitants predicting misery and misfortune. Some time went by and the invading Mughals ravaged the town, slaughtering 15000 of it’s inhabitants. Many tried to rebuild the fort but would walk away complaining of mysterious happenings, often violent. Over a period of years, they gave up and the site was reduced to ruins until India’s independence when the government decided to salvage and maintain the remains.

The eerie apart, the site is a treat for those who love to gauge at historical artefacts and structure. Its like a small window into medieval India and how even then it was a giant melting pot of cultures and traditions. The temples, large galleys and mosques among other architecture highlight the mix of Indian and Arabic culture and the influence it had on the construction. Use of the now rare Jhirri marble stone and the elegant carvings on them also point towards the artistic leaning of the community. There isn’t much to see outside the fort premises, but the complex itself is large enough to spend a day and gauge at some medieval sights. Most certainly for those like me, who are fascinated by myths and mysteries, there is scope to camp overnight and check the reality of the Bhangarh hauntings.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About icircuit


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.